Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella

SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a tried and true paella recipe, and has anyone tried it on the egg?

Comments

• fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    SuperDave,
    Paellaya closely resembles jambalaya, Paellaya being of Spanish orgin.
    Paellaya or jambalaya can really have about anyything in them, although paellaya should have safron in it and shellfish, sea food, and chicken pieces, bone in, andouille sausage for flavoring. These dishes are not hard to make at all. Both will have clery, onions and bell peppers(called trinity).When I make jambalaya I add ham, sausage, chicken and maybe some shrimp. I can send you a recipie if you like, check out some of the big food webbies they will have recipies. Just remember if you are using shellfish, they go in at the last minute and just cook a few more minutes until they open up, if they don't discard, and for whatever amount or rice you add simply double that amount of liquid and for this dish you should use chicken stock as your liquid. If you have any questions just let me know I would like to help you if you need it.

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    SuperDave,[p] Like alot of other things, this is on my short list (OK, I know, if there are alot of things on it, how can the list be short?) of things to try on my BGE. I bought a paella pan, but unfortunately, the 16" pan I bought turns out to be over 20" in diameter when you include the handles. COnsequently, without some modifications (for which my toolbox is ill-equipped) I can't close the lid of the BGE with the pan inside.[p] While I'll agree that paella resembles jambalaya in many ways, there is a difference in how the dish is prepared. Also, the "trinity" that is present in jambalaya isn't normally the same as that found it paella. For traditional paella, you need the right kind of rice and you need to cook it accordingly to get the creamy texture that paella is famous for. In Spain, paella is most often cooked outside over a wood fire, so I believe the BGE will be perfect for cooking it.[p]For some additonal information, try:[p]PaellaPans.com
    Tienda
    The Spanish Table[p]There is a great book by Penelope Casas called "Paella! Spectacular Rice Dishes From Spain" that I would highly recommend if you are serious about your paella . . .[p]MikeO

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    MikeO,[p]Great information Mike. How much bigger is the 16 inch pan than your BGE? Do you think the 14 inch pan would work? Or would only the 13 inch?[p]Fritz
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Fritz,[p] The "pan" part of the 16" pan (it's a beautiful pan BTW -- I bought it from paellapans.com) is the perfect size. However, the handles (which are pretty big) make it about 1" too wide for me to sqeeze it into the BGE. If memory serves (I'm at work now so I can't verify this directly until I get home), the maximum diameter (including handles) I can get into the BGE is 19" or 19.5". I'm trying to figure out how to "squish" the handles without hurting the pan. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to look for a smaller pan (too bad because it's fun to make lots of paella at once). I would assume that the 14" one would be fine. I believe I've seen some 15" ones around, too. Best bet is to measure the inside of the BGE and ask to make sure the pan will fit -- don't assume, like I did, that it'll work![p]MikeO
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    MikeO,[p]That is just what I did. I checked paellapans.com and it appears they have a wonderful site and product.[p]We may make some stove-top paella tonight.[p]Fritz