Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pig Candy, Chicken, Advice needed!

TonyTony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I woke up late this morning and my wife just informed me that she invited her family (12 adults, 4 teens)over later this afternoon (4 o'clock). Now I have to figure out something to cook on my large BGE. My wife thinks that I can just throw some chicken pieces on the egg. I could but I would like to cook something with more of a "WOW" factor.[p]In the past on seperate occasions I've cooked ABT's, spare ribs, burgers, and a pork butt for this same group. So now they think I'm some kind of master BBQ'er on my BGE.[p]Here is what I'm thinking, but you are MORE then welcome to pitch in with your input. PLEASE! I need the help.[p]Chicken roll-ups: Cajun seasoned chicken breast(boneless/flattened) stuffed with cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, wraped in bacon.[p]Skinless chicken thighs for those that just want chicken.[p]Potato salad and garlic bread for the sides.[p]I want to try " Third Eyes" PIG CANDY.[p]One question.....when do I cook the pig candy? I certainly won't have enough room in the egg to cook everything at once,I think. Or whould it be posssible to cook the roll-ups and chicken on the main grill and the Pig Candy on the upper grate at the same time?[p]How would you guys handle this cook?
My reputation with the BGE is on the line :) [p][p][p]

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,422
    Tiger Tony,[p]The pig candy can be cooked ahead of the chicken, it keeps well. The two choices of chicken sound good to me, actually really good.[p]If you have the time, I wonder if you should start the Egg, then dash down to the store for some fatties now? (or send the wife) Once they come off (in 3 hours), you can foil and cooler them as they keep really well and will fit right in with everything else. 3 of them should be fine. 4 would be better.[p]~thirdeye~
  • TonyTony Posts: 224
    Thank You thirdeye ![p]Aaahhhh.... fatties are a great idea. I'll do the fatties way ahead of time and foil them like you suggest. Then start cooking the Pig Candy about a half hour before the guest arrive, after the Pig Candy I'll do the chicken. I feel better now :)[p]Thirdeye, I just checked out your Fire and Smoke site to learn about the fatties.
    If I go buy Jimmy Dean sausage and want to make 4 stuffed fatties. Do I flatten their links, stuff and roll into 1lb logs or does Jimmy Dean come ground in a big log? Beleive it or not I have never bought Jimmy Dean sausage before, but I think maybe I've seen big logs of it in the store.

Tiger Tony,[p]No, just pickup a 1# or 2# logs, add rub or at least black pepper and have at it. Stuffing is optional, I would skip it on this batch due to time. The only flavor I don't care for is BOLD.[p]~thirdeye~

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,008
    Tiger Tony,[p]If your local market doesn't have Jimmy Dean sausage, other brands can work well. Along with J.D., my local market has Tennessee Pride and Bob Evans, as well as a store brand. The store brand is awful, way too much fat, but the others are fine. A pre-made roll is way easier to work with than making one from bulk or individual sausages.[p]Have fun with the sudden entertaining!
    gdenby

• TonyTony Posts: 224
    thirdeye,
    Thanks again!
    Now off to the store I go............

• thirdeye,[p]I haven't been keeping up on the forum lately. Tell me, what is Pig Candy? Please give me the recipe. Thanks.
    fishmeyer

John Meyer,[p]You can catch up real fast with this quick snack.

[ul][li]Pig Candy[/ul]