Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-ceramic indirect set-up options

Shoe
Shoe Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't like using the inverted plate setter for use with higher temperature and shorter time indirect cooks. Fuel consumption is high, and the egg responds sluggishly to vent changes. I'm playing with a indirect set-ups that are smaller and less massive than the inverted plate setter. Putting the BGE grid on the fire ring with a drip pan and then cooking on an elevated grid above it works, but the drip pan gets too hot and the grease smokes. I'm using a 10" cake pan as a drip pan, don't want to use the 14" pizza stone under the cake pan because that defeats the purpose of trying for a smaller footprint in the egg. Don't have a 10" pizza stone. Was considering a 10" circle out of aluminum flashing, putting my copper elbows on that, and then the drip pan on the elbows. No ceramic mass, but maybe I don't need ceramic mass for this use.[p]Your thoughts?

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Shoe,
    Instead of the aluminum flashing just use aluminum foil pulled tight enough across drip pan to keep foil off bottom of pan, creating an air space between the two. Crimp edges of foil around pan to hold in place. Put down elbows if you like under the foil. Make sure the pocket you create is deep enough to hold drippings you create. Just toss when done.
    Bob

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Shoe, try going higher into the dome with your cooking grid by creating more space between your indirect piece and cooking grid: maybe BGE grid on fire ring, couple fire bricks on edge with Weber grid on bricks; Indirect piece between the fire bricks on BGE grid. 12" BGE stone is a great heat deflector for small, fast, and hot indirect cooks.[p]You might play with stacking the fire bricks to get couple inches above the felt rim. My theory is the more space you can have between the indirect piece and cooking grid, the more uniform the temps will be across the cooking grid.[p]Using my stuff, I get approx. seven inches of open air, space between the indirect piece and cooking grid. Hope this helps. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Shoe,
    I haven't tried this yet, but even putting a drip pan on the platesetter results in smoking and burned-on grease. I've been thinking that filling the drip pan partially with water would alleviate the smoking. Any thoughts on this?

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    striproast1.jpg?t=1174062654
    <p />Shoe,[p]Here's a set up I've used. Worked well, but a bit of a p.i.t.a to get to the asparagus.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I have a very simple set up: Drip pan (usually a foil pan) on the grid, second grid or rack on the pan, meat on the second grid or rack. If you're cooking at a low temp I don't think you need anything else, but sometimes I put a pizza stone under the drip pan.
  • Shoe
    That's a great idea - accomplishes what I want, low thermal mass, insulating area between where drippings collect and thermal barrier.
  • Shoe
    Cooking is occuring on an elevated grid, level is where upper and lower halves of egg meet. That's high enough, I think. It is the smoking of the drippings down below in the drip pan (on the lower grid, the main BGE grid) I'm trying to avoid.
  • Shoe
    When I use the plate setter I raise the drip pan off the setter with copper elbows, which greatly reduces the smoking. Want to raise this smaller drip pan off a non-ceramic heat barrier using those same copper elbows. That will allow me to cook on the elevated grid, completely above and out of the drip pan.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    Take the hinged piece off one side.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Shoe,[p]here's what i use, and i love it. [p]i have Sandbagger's (aka TJV) "Spider" device sitting on the fire ring. then, i put a 14" cast iron lid on top of that to act as my poor man's platesetter. bc/ the lid has a little handle on top, it's very easy to lift it out if you want to remove it to go from indirect to direct.[p]you can also use the Spider to put a smaller cast iron grid on it, to get it down closer to the coals for a faster sear for thinner cuts of food.[p]
  • Shoe,[p]I have never used a plate setter in any of my Eggs for any type of cooking. I do use the plate setter for hearth baking. [p]I use what I call a "Contraption" and it does work well for my cooking. This is the one for a large Egg.[p]5contbge2Mvc-024e.jpg[p]This is the Contraption for the extra large Egg.[p]55MVC-007E.jpg[p]These setups allow you to cook on two levels, do your setup work in the kitchen, and do work well with about any type of treat. [p]Dave

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Shoe, I put three fire bricks on the grid, aluminum pan on the firebricks, raised grid over the pan, then the meat. I use that setup for brisket, butts, and ribs. Ain't failed me yet. I don't use no stinkin water in the pan.

• Shoe
    Thanks! Brickyard closed 10 minutes before I got there today, have half-height firebricks on my shopping list.
  • Shoe
    Do you line your drip pan with aluminum foil leaving an air gap, like Painter describes in his response?[p]I like your set-up. I think I'll achieve much the same with the way I'm going. I can't use the extended grate the way you do (upside down) as mine is hinged. But I can use the BGE grid on the firering with the 10" cake pan as a drip pan, elevated grid above it as the cooking surface, and attach the extended grid to the elevated grid if I need more cooking surface.
  • Shoe
    After re-reading your post I think I understand better what you are saying. I'll play with the firebricks and see if I like boosting the elevated grid another inch or two.