Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I missed the King Brisket Hour!!

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CALLING NATURE BOY!! Was reading all your good stuff from this morning's discussion on Brisket. Quick question: If you really are going to go indirect (plate setter or bricks), instead of just slinging a pan under your grid, should you establish your target temp with your indirect mass in place first, or set your temp and then add your indirect material plus meat? Did I make sense? Thanks for your answer. p.s. What flavor woods do you like?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Murth,
    lots of folks here can give you great tips on briskets. I don't use any ceramic mass. Only a drip pan. And I like to get a good core fire going first. I like a stabilized 250, then add smoking wood and then meat. [p]Everyone does it a bit different though.[p]I like cherry wood best. Pecan is wonderful. Can't go wrong whatever you do.
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Big Murth,
    You do not need any plate setters or bricks. Just sling a pan under the grid. Stabilize your dome temp at 250* then put them meat on a v-rack. I like mesquite, but others will work just fine.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    17 seconds. Near crash.
    Did you and Kathy end up buying that cool birdbath at Dale's place??
    That was pretty cool, and Kathy was heavily into it!
    Cheers!
    Nb[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Big Murth
    Options
    JJ,
    Lots of you subscribe to that "pan-slingin'" method....I like it's simplicity too. But help me on this general question: "if" you are to use some ceramic mass, should you stabilize your cook temp with it in place first, or not?--regardless of what you're cooking/smoking?
    Thanks fellas!!

• JJ
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Setting in her flower garden now. Will send photos when I get done roofing my deck.

• JJ
    Options
    Big Murth,
    If your opt to use ceramic mass, stabilize the temp first.

• Unknown
    Options
    Big Murth,
    by the way, i always loved the King Biscuit Flower hour. Great bands.
    I loved your title.
    NB

• Big Murth
    Options
    NB,
    Back in the prehistoric "pre-Egg" days, a bunch of us were rabid homebrewers, and also, serious blues fans(still love/live the blues, don't brew anymore). We used to throw an annual party, with live music, homebrew of every variety, and something we called barbeque.....and the event was referred to as "Blues, Brews, and Barbeque" pretty freaking original, eh? We even had a new original design T-shirt made each year by some of the pilgrims who made down to New Mexico from Battle Creek, Michigan and Ohio. Anyway, NB, you are King Brisket, whether you like it or not! p.s. You would have loved my Green Chile Lager.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Big Murth,
    i guarantee you would have not had to twist my arm at all to try your Green Chile Lager. I would be first in line.
    Thanks for your kind words.[p]If you can make it up to the DC/Waldorf Egfest next April, I can almost promise you some good blues music. BluesnBBQ and One Thin Dime is as good as it gets. Got a feelin' they will be back next year! Nuthin' goes better with barbecue......'cept for one of those Green Chile lagers maybe![p]Latah!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    We're getting a little off topic here, but I want to point out that the King Biscuit Flower Hour took their name from King Biscuit Time, an hour long blues radio show which started in the 40s on KFFA in Helena, Arkansas. One of the world's best free blues festivals, The King Biscuit Blues Festival (also in Helena) was inspired by the radio show.[p]You can read more about KFFA here: http://www.kingbiscuit.com/ [p]and more about the festival here: http://www.kingbiscuitfest.org/[p]Some of the best pulled pork I ever had was in Helena, when I was there for the festival.
    [ul][li]King Biscuit Time![/ul]