Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast Help

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need recipe/directions/suggestions for doing a pot roast in the EGG this weekend. Marinade? Best portion of beef to use? EGG temp and cooking time? Thanks very much!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Doug, Hope we can help ya..! A pot roast is usually a chuck roast, not the best grade of beef as per a Prime Rib. If I were to do one tomorrow, (its been a while since Sprinter and I dueled :-)) here is what I would do. Change it to suit your taste buds.
    There really is two ways you can attack that beast and one is this way, and another is a salt pack roast. I will leave you one from Kosher Salt at the end.
    I would rub it down with olive oil, then sprinkle with Kosher coarse, and some good old fresh ground peppercorn. It sure beats pepper out of the shaker. I use a combo red and black peppercorns.
    Generously coat the roast with the peppercorns and sear it on high (700F) heat in the BGE. Both sides for just a few minutes.
    Then take it off and rest it in a platter while you set up for a indirect cook. Set up two firebricks on edge over a drip pan or two more firebricks and a drip pan on top. Then a second grill over the drip pan..makes no difference what kind or size of a grill as long as it holds the roast. Bake the roast another half hour at 350F (don't worry, the fresh bricks will help pull the temp down) ..In the meantime, make yourself a nice double layer pan out of aluminum foil or use a aluminum pan.. Put the roast in the pan, along with celery, halved or quartered potatoes, onions, some bay leaf on the roast along with the onion and garlic, carrots along side the roast with the potato and celery, and then seal it so it finish cooks in its own juices for another hour. You should be able to make some good gravies out of the drippings/juices in the foil or pan later. Indirect will keep you from charring the drippings. It will take about 45 minutes to a hour on the finish foil/pan end of the cook.
    Your dealing with a pretty tough hombre, and this will tenderize the meat to a nice pull apart texture.
    It should work ok, as it mimics a oven cook pretty close.
    Good luck..!
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Sorry.. I forgot to tag it with the rest..Pretty much follow this and substitute BGE for the cooking apparatus.
    C~W
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 tsp Morton® Garlic Salt
    1 tsp dried basil leaves
    1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
    1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1/4 tsp pepper
    One 2-1/2 to 3-lb beef eye of round roast
    One 3-lb box Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt
    1-1/4 cups water

[p]
    Preparation Time
    10 minutes Marinate Time
    2 hours Cooking Time
    Approximately
    1 hour 20 min.
    (for medium doneness)
    Servings
    8-10 [p]
    Preparations
    Combine oil, onion, and seasonings including Morton® Garlic Salt in a heavy plastic bag, mix well. Add roast; coat well with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight. Line roasting pan with aluminum foil. Combine Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt and water to form a thick paste. Pat 1 cup paste to a 1/2 inch thick rectangle in pan. Pat roast dry with paper towels; insert meat thermometer. Place roast on salt layer; pack remaining salt paste around meat to seal well.[p]Cooking
    Bake at 350° F, until thermometer registers 140°, approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Steam may cause salt crust to crack slightly during roasting. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Remove and discard salt crust.
    [p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Ahhhhh, but CW, I remember it like it was yesterday. That was a blast. That dang roast really kicked my butt. It had a great flavor but just as tough as shoe leather. I should have known better but I was young and foolish when we did that. Thought I had honed my egg skills well enough to kick that roast. Well, live and learn. Since that duel I have taken the opportunity to do one your way and it came out wonderful. I really like that tented method, it worked out great. Those dang roasts are just so tempting in the store too. They always seem to have them on a buy one get one free deal, and for a BIG hunk of meat thats a deal. But alas, they take some time on the grill but the end result can be very good. Heres how I did mine covered:[p]
    Rub the roast on all sides liberally with Allspice[p]Roll it in flour and in a very hot pan sear the sides until browned all over.[p]In the pan (to deglaze) add about a cup of beef broth and a teaspoon of anchovy paste[p]Put all of this in a pyrex dish and add 2 sliced carrots, a cup of pitted prunes, 3 sliced parsnips, and a bay leaf.[p]Cook it indirect, uncovered for about 2 hours at 300. Cover it and let it cook about 2 hours more or until the meat is soft.[p]Take out the meat and veggies leaving the juice. Add some flour and make a gravy out of this and serve on the side or over the meat.[p]
    This is a great way to do those nasty chunks of meat, and the recipe can be used equally well in the oven or in the egg.[p]Thanks for the trip down memory lane this AM CW. Have a good one.[p]Troy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, now that is a beautiful approach to subduing that wiley roast..Great ideas and method..!
    BTW..I have one in the freezer with a roasting in mind. Been there several weeks..vacuum sealed.
    Thanks..! C~W

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I'm here to tell ya CW, that recipe makes a GREAT roast. Fork tender and nice and smoky after a couple hours in the egg uncovered. Good stuff from what starts out as the most gristly piece of "stuff" I ever saw.[p]Troy