Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

West Virginia Hills and Food....sorry, long

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whoa nelly! The egg family, Mr. Big and Junior, carried their weight and more during a cooking marathon in the remote West Virginia highlands. The 3,500 feet in elevation might have affected the thermometer calibratin slightly, but nature's effects on the food were especially magical.[p]Started off Friday evening preparing a batch of four 1.5 pound cornish hens. Prepared with JJ's Parmeian Cornish Game Hen recipe, (and a healthy dose of my rib rub before the breading) they were set on the grate elevated over a drip pan. An hour at 350, then kicked up to 400 until breast was 165 (about 25 minutes later). Pulled them off gently so the breaded coating would remain in tact and rested them 10 minutes while I cooked up asparagus, sweet onions, red peppers, and tomatoes (with soy, mirin, peanut oil and some rub) in the grill topper at 450-500. In the meanwhile 8 ears of corn were finishing up on junior. Awww man. The hens were moist and tender with a crunchy coating. Shweet. The veggies had that wonderful high-heat-smoky flavor, and the seet onions tasted like apples. One of the folks with us is not a veggie fan, but she came back for thirds. [p]At midnight friday I put the 7 pound butt on, and went to bed at 1 with a steady 220 going. Usually use 250, but I wanted to draw this cook out for dinner Saturday. Saturday a.m. still going steady. We cooked sausages on the small, and a big pan of eggs on the cabin stove. Big ol' thing of OJ and coffee on a gorgeous cool morning. Early sun glistening off the rich colored red spruce trees. The Serviceberry trees were blooming, and the sugar maples, aspens and birch trees were just showing the beginnings of the leaves. Numerous birds singing, and chasing each other in their spring rituals. A hot bed of coals smoldered from the previous night's campfire.[p]For lunch it was burgers and dogs on junior, after which I put the cast iron dutch oven on, and sauteed 2 large onions for 30 mintes or so until the edges were brown, and added the beans (Bushes original) and a bunch of shakes rub, brown sugar, ketchup and mustard and 2 Saranac Amber brews. The beans simmered with a nice steady slow bubble. About 5:00 the butt hit 195, and I wrapped in foil and put in a small cooler, then cooked another 8 ears of corn on Mr. Big. Another killer meal...except for the store bought cole slaw. Tanker Tim's beans rule. The pulled pork had a wonderful bark, and was sopping wet inside. For dessert it was a batch of MikeO's grilled buttered candied pineapple, which was great as usual.[p]Sunday am was a carbon copy of the sausage and eggs...coffe and oj. Then I put some boneless chicken breasts (slathered with mustard, lime juice, peanut oil, and rub), and 3 burgers. I cooked these up and wrapped in foil to the coler (about 11am), a bit early for lunch, but I needed to cool the cooker down quickly, as we were heading out early afternoon. Unwrapped the chicken about 1, and slapped them on buns and ate with potato chips. Wasn't sure how the results of the breasts would be after letting them sit wrapped, but they were juicy as all git out.[p]Sorry about the rambling. Taking your cookers camping is worth the effort. Better than we eat at home. If you have a pickup, you should always bring the large![p]Back to reality now.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments