Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking way ahead, but....Rib question?

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Memorial Day, which I hope comes sooner rather then later this year, is not far off. I will bringing my medium egg with me. My friends know this and a lot of them have had ribs made off it before and are looking forward to me brining the smoker this year. I would say about 10 people know and anticipate some nice smoked ribs via my egg. Problem is that the Medium can only fit so many slabs on it so I can only accomodate so many people.[p]I am trying to think outside the box here so that I may feed more faces. I hope to serve the ribs on the Sat. but wont leave for the trip from my house until late on Friday the day before. I plan on doing the 3/1/1 method for babybacks and I was wondering if it would be wise for me to do maybe the 3 hour cook for some of the ribs the day before on that Friday? throw them in wrap in the fridge and finish them up the next day while camping? In fact I could even do more on that Thurdsay before as well if. When Saturday comes I could finish them all in FOIL then direct. Probably not all at once im sure, but ill do it in stages. Maybe it would be better to do the 3 hours indiret then the hour FOILed before I leave for the trip, then just do direct while camping?[p]IDK, I just like to cater to my friends with these ribs I make and would like to feed as many as I can with only a Medium Egg. If it isnt wise to do different portions of the cook on different days then Maybe I wont attempt. Figured Id ask the experts first.[p][p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    toomsdpt,
    no expert, but the last hour direct could certainly be held off til later. they'll be done by then. they MAY be a bit firmer than you want (drier? not sure), because you will be reheating them and they'll give up some moisture getting back to temp.[p]instead of considering it 3/1 with a delayed 1 at the end, maybe it's more of 3.5/1 and reheat directly for as little as possible, say the final .5[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    toomsdpt,[p] I'll load up my XL's and come visit :) Seriously I have done ribs for my co-workers. I cooked them on Sunday and reheated them on Monday. They were all happy. [p] You should be fine taking them off before the final "in-smoke" time. You might want to keep them in the foil the next day for 10-15 minutes and then remove them for the final portion of the cook.[p] They don't need to be competition quality ribs to please your friends..[p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    toomsdpt,[p]Not too long after I got my medium, my daughter asked that I cook ribs for her birthday. A week before, I managed to cram 10 lbs of rib tips on the medium. That full, a 3-1-1 cook was more like 4-1-1. I pulled them off when I thought they had about another 15 min. to go. Gave them one last mop, and then vacuum packed and froze. The day of the party, I did another 10 lbs. I put the frozen ones in a room temp water bath. Right after serving the first ten pounds, I dropped the pre-cooked on. Just before the first ten pounds were eaten, the pre-cooks were good and warm. They were almost indistinguishable from the fresh cooked.[p]gdenby

• toomsdpt
    Celtic Wolf,[p]so to clarify Celtic, do the 3/1 portion on friday then put them back in FOIL on Sat for about 10-15 mins or so, then last hour direct?[p]This could work. I might actually do 3-4 slabs on Thusday, then another 3-4 slabs on Friday with just the 3/1 portion on those two days.[p]Then on Saturday I will do a another 3-4 slabs the with the whole 3/1/1 method straight thru. Serve that fresh batch when done and throughout the course of the next few hours reheat the other ribs and serve as they are done. [p]All and all I could have about 12 slabs done if the plan works out. not bad in a day or days work..
  • toomsdpt
    Celtic Wolf,[p]And I should freeze them once I cook them on the day(s) before? or fridge would suffice?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    toomsdpt,[p]No need to freeze for a day or so.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    toomsdpt,
    I have done this several times.
    I start out doing the 3,1,1 method but there are changes. I set up a indirect cook, the racks on their edges and use a dome temp of 250, no less no more. I let them go for 3 hours, I then remove them to a 3-4 deep alum pan, I cut the full racks in half at this point. I cover the ribs lightly with the "sauce of the day" or what ever you will use at the end. Not too much as you done want to over do and steam the ribs. I then put the covered alum pans in the a Direct Egg setup and rotate top to bottom every 15 minutes to keep the ribs from burning, for an hour or so. I remove the covered pans and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. Next into the refrigerator they go till the day of grilling. On that day of grilling I set the house oven to 175 and just warm the ribs up for about an hour or less, just enough so the harden fat melts. Transport these to your final grilling spot. Now the ribs are ready for the final grilling and saucing. Just grill and sauce the ribs as needed. Like I said I have done this before and days ahead, the most I did were 18 racks over 3 days.