Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Method

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --[p]I'm having guests for dinner. I plan to make London broil salad with grilled cabbage and galangal (the steak has been soaking in fatalli puree since last night). I'd like to put out some ABTs and a fatty with crackers in front of dinner.[p]I have always done ABTs indirect -- typically, on an offset smoker since I am a new Egg owner. However, I want to grill the cabbage and steak over direct heat. Can I do the ABTs over direct heat at low dome temps (say, 250 or so) to avoid reconfiguring the Egg part way through the cook? If so, I can do the ABTs first, get the cabbage taken care of on the way up, and then finish at highest heat with the steak.[p]Thanks.[p]Matt

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Matt,
    See, already you need another Egg LOL.[p]I do ABT's direct all the time and if I don't have enough heat under 'em they turn out bad. About 375° is good, maybe even 400° if you cook them on a raised grill. I think in this instance I would cook the ABT's first to almost done, set 'em aside until you are ready for them. Then throw them back on the Egg for a few minutes to warm them up for serving.[p]Just my 4.877 cents (adjusted for inflation) worth.[p]Spring "ABT Eater" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Cabdriver
    Cabdriver Posts: 69
    Options
    Matt,
    I also do them direct at about 350-375 dome for about an hour. Bacon gets crisp and the pepper is nice and soft.

• 28dec06-010.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    direct, regular or raised grid here.[p]Rick's Tropical Delight
    *can't stand a thread without a photo*

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I know what you mean...[p]SnackABTs.jpg[p]Spring "Fix'n To Make Some Sawdust" Chicken