Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wierd Butt Cook today

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked a pair of 7lb butts and they took 17 hours to hit 195! That's about 2.5 hours per pound. I've never had them take that long. Did my normal thing, 235 grate with a guru watching the fire. Ran out of lump at about the 14th hour so I had to finish them in the oven. One was injected and the other not. I knew it was going to be one of "those" cooks when I accidently used the wrong thing to inject it: Western Carolina BBQ sauce rather than the Big Pig Injection I made. Well, at least the sample tasted fantastic. They are resting in the cooler now.[p]Any idea why these two took so long? They were not touching or anything.

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ,
    full worm moon tonight and a total lunar eclipse!

[ul][li]total eclipse of the moon![/ul]
  • Cabdriver
    Cabdriver Posts: 69
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    I have two 8.5 lb butts on. They have been going 20 hours and 45 minutes and they are at 195. Waiting until 200. Indirect, platesetter, drip pan and both butts in the vrack. I know from the Naked Whiz' site that it took him 20 hours for a 8.5 lb butt.[p]By the way, I used B&B lump for the first time -- filled up the fire box, and have not had to add any lump the entire 20 hours. It is great stuff and cheaper than Big Green Egg charcoal. Looks like it lasts longer as well. Lots of big chunks.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Ah! I knew something was up.
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    I've had butts take 18-20 hours. They are all different.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    Things happen for some explained reason on a lo & slo. It may seem anal to a lot of folks; but I believe in it. I use the Elder Ward recommendations for lump on a lo & slo.
    He recommends sorting the large/medium/small lump in the fire box. After I ran out of lump on the first couple of times, I used his method, I didn't run out anymore.
    Secondly, lower your grate temp to 220/225.
    As far as the wrong injection-you're on your own!
    Hammer

• It's happened to me too. No explanation other than full moon, high tide or something. Maybe I just didn't hold my mouth right.[p]