Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinated NY Strips

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a minor epiphany over the past couple of days that I thought I'd share with everyone. Not that everyone would or should care, just minor brain activity on my part that I thought was interesting. Anyway.[p]I've been marinating my steaks in olive oil for quite some time now and have tried different variations on this theme with spices, balsamic vinegar, flavored oils and whatnot, all have turned out great IMHO.[p]The epiphany came to me on Sunday as I was preparing some salad dressing for the fresh picked lettuce and spinach salad we were having for dinner (man it was good, I love springtime and the garden). I was planning on putting the steaks in the oil at the same time as I was doing the dressing and I had the oil out, then light shines. Whats in the dressing? Spices, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, yep, all of the above. So, I made another batch of dressing and put some of it on the steaks and cooked them last night, they were great. Those "good seasons" dressing packages mixed with oil and vineger and a bit of water work great, and it takes the guesswork out of spice additions. You have a few choices for flavors, cheesy garlic, spicy italian etc. THEN I started to think about people adding the Citrus Splash to chicken and other things, its the exact same thing only to beef. Not sure about the oil content of the prepackaged dressings but this opens up a whole world of 'sperimenting on steaks for me. Well, maybe thats stretching it a bit but it sure made a good steak.[p]OK, sorry about the long post.[p]Troy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I'm not sorry you did.
    Who say's this forum isn't the nectar of good tips and hints coming from nic folks who love to cook and share. Especially on a BGE. I have read of marinating chop's chicken and other goodies in salad dressings. Now I know why.
    Thanks for the posting that one!
    C~W[p]

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    sprinter,
    Boneless chicken breasts soaked overnight in good seasons italian are great also. I cook them in nuke mode just until done. Good stuff.[p]Chuck