Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I made the smoked and dried garlic

Options
Shoe
Shoe Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made the smoked and dried garlic I've seen talked about in the archives, starting a couple days ago. I used the cloves from 10 heads of garlic, lightly crushed and then peeled. I got the egg steady at 150 and allowed three chunks of hickory to smoke for 30 minutes until the smoke began to blue up and thin. I put the cloves on a grill stir-fry pan that has numerous holes to keep them from falling through the grill grate, then put that onto an extended grid, direct heat. That was Sunday evening.[p]For the next two days I tried to keep the temperature steady, with limited success. Monday morning it was down to 100, I bumped the daisy a bit and went to work. Monday evening I repositioned some lump and unburnt hickory, got the egg steady and smoking again at 180 to 200. Tuesday evening, 43 hours after starting, the egg was back down to 100, and I took the garlic off.[p]The cloves were now like dried nuts - brown, hard, and light. If you squeezed one hard in your hand it would fracture. I powdered them in a food processor - the smell about drove me out of the house! - and filled 2.5 regular spice bottles.[p]While the whole smoked cloves smelled garlicy and a little smokey, the powder has an overwhelming garlic odor - much stronger than store bought garlic powder - and minimal smoke odor. Very pungent.[p]Now to cook something with it...