Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Road Trip for my BGE

Options
Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang,[p]I am a long-time reader of this fine forum, and seldom take time to post, but couldn't stand to pass up on the opportunity to gloat over what the BGE can do.[p]I just took my large BGE on her first road trip. I took her fishing with some buddies (none of which had previously tasted of the nectar that flows from the BGE) down in south Georgia.[p]We got to the fishing hole Saturday afternoon about 2pm. I fired up the BGE, and prepared to smoke some sweet babybacks that had been marinated in Guiness overnight. I used the 3-2-1 method over indirect heat. The ribs had been soaking in mustard and JJ's rub for the five hour trip from Atlanta. 10 minutes after lighting the egg, I threw on SIX full slabs of ribs. For the next 4 hours, my boys had to focus on catching some bass while that sweet smelling smoke drifted to their boats from the lake side. After 4 hours, I came ashore to slather on some Q sauce. One hour later, they came ashore demanding to taste some of 'dem ribs. I tried to hold 'em off for another hour, but to no avail.[p]After five-and-a-half hours, the six slabs were removed from the egg. They were, by far, my best batch of baby backs I had ever done. They were tender as ever, and falling off the bone. 15 minues later...no more ribs. It was pretty funny. There was clean, gnawed rib bones flying everywhere. [p]The ribs were so good, the conversation on the way home wasn't about the 10lb bass someone caught. It was about those ribs, and how to convince their wives that they absolutely had to have one of the crazy, green, smokin & grillin devices called an Egg.[p]Many thanks to BGE and this forum for transforming my Q'in experience.[p]Thrill

Comments

• Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    Options
    Forgot a couple of specifics. [p]I smoked the ribs over mesquite and apple chips using the indirect method. The dome temp held at 250 for the entire smoke (5 1/2 hours).
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thrill,
    The combination of your perfect cook, and the fact that all food tastes better in the wilderness, is a powerful pair. WOW. A 10 pound bass is a monster. I would still be talking about that one. [p]Congrats on your success, and thanks for posting. Glad you popped out of the woodwork with that killer story. I am taking the large and small eggs camping this coming weekend. Still need to figure out what I will cook. I can relate to your experience![p]Stop back more often!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Thrill, you limited out in luxury..Now you know why I had to have a mini to take on my fishing jaunts..Even just for burgers and brats.
    Good job and welcome to the "Egg University"!! Its kinda Eggstra Special..heeeeyaaaa....yaaahoooo...and ole~
    C~W
    (Da graduate)