Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help ...Salmon and scallops

Options
Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first seafood on the egg tonight. I've got some salmon and some scallops (will wrap in bacon). Here is my issue, my wife and kids do not eat seafood (their lose, my gain) so my wife wants me to cook them some chicken breasts. I need help with how to cook these items so that everything is done at the same time. I would assume that the salmon needs to be an indirect cook and I guess I could cook the chicken indirect as well. [p]Please offer any advice as to time, temp, etc.

Comments

• 10feb07-002.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,
    put the chicken on direct raised grid at 330 for about 1/2 hour...
    then add the salmon and scallops. let it get to 300 for about another 30 minutes. put the salmon on a plank if you have one...[p]per drbbq, wrap the bacon around the scallop as in the photo to protect the tender scallop meat and ensure better bacon browning.

• maybe closer to an hour for the chicken first if it's bone in breasts...
  • Smoking Jacket
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Thanks Rick...[p]More questions, I don't have a raised grid setup..just a platesetter and my grid..what do you suggest...it is bone in breast chicken.[p]Are you saying 30 minutes total for seafood?[p]I have DP Tsunami rub for the salmon and scallops..my wife just wanted salt & pepper on the chicken.[p]Thanks a bunch.
  • Smoking Jacket,
    i'd do it indirect then at about 350 for the chicken breasts first for around an hour, then put on the seafood and let it get down to 300 for 20-30 minutes more. put the bacon-wrapped scallops on the outer edges where it's more a direct heat around the plate setter so the bacon will crisp up nicely. it's done when the bacon is done.[p]good luck! just watch them all closely and you'll be fine

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,[p]30 minutes for the salmon should be enough, 45 minutes for a really thick piece. I think an hour indirect for the bone-in chicken breast should be plenty (I do a whole spatchcocked chicken direct for about an hour). It's just like baking in an oven for a similar amount of time.[p]So, I would start the chicken 30 minutes before the salmon, or less if the salmon is a really thick piece.[p]I agree with putting the scallops on the edge so they get some direct heat. Wrapping them in bacon completely changes the cooking time. I grill scallops on a skewer direct for only about 2 minutes a side for the big sea scallops. But wrapped in bacon and you are looking at 30 minutes or so.[p]Good Luck! It should turn out fine. Just make sure you keep an eye on it and don't overcook the food. Salmon is easy.
  • Smoking Jacket
    Options
    Thanks Rick & Kevin...[p]This place is the greatest...ask and you shall receive. I hope one day I can answer questions instead of always asking.[p]Smoking Jacket