Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spare ribs - lessons learned

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, thanks to those who provided some input on my first rib experience. I ended up tossing the full slabs untrimmed on the BBQ in a rack since I ran short of time to trim them like I wanted.[p]The biggest lesson I learned from this cook is: Playing poker, drinking large volumes of beer and cooking ribs is a bad combination. Ended up not checking the ribs enough so they came out a bit over done. The meat was 206 when I pulled them, ooops. Still tasted pretty darn good, but some of them were a little dry.[p]The next lession (shoulda know better on this one), when your remote check thermometer stops sending/recieving a signal in the house, you better get up and walk outside to check on things! If I would have done this the rib temp and overcooking issue would have been minimized.[p]Oh well, I'll remember this for next time. And all wasn't lost, the ribs still were pretty good, as were the chicken and hot links. I made a couple bucks in the card game and the fridge still has plenty of donated quality beer in it! And the ribs not being perfect, well, just gives me plenty of excuse to cook some more sooner rather than later!

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Robert,
    You left out the most important part,( your address ) we all love ribs & beer.LOL
    Glad you had some good eatin,but what happened to the remote, battery or was it cooked to.[p]Earl

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Robert,
    NO NO NOOO NOOOOOOOOOO IS WASN'T THE BEER!
    ST

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Robert,
    Which remote thermometer are you using and have you been pleased with it so far?[p]Mike[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Not sure if you’re right, but I completely agree with the sentiment.[p]Jethro
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Jethro,[p]I think a night of poker, large volumes of beer, and ribs sounds pretty much like an ideal evening. Throw in a good baseball or football game and you've achieved some sort of nirvana.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Yup, I tend to agree that the overcooking was no fault of the beer or any error on my part (it's just not possible). Must just have been a freak occurance! That's my story![p]I think the issue with the remote sensor not working could have been the result of little temp change in the meat over a bit of time. I've noticed that it seems to drop the signal of there is no movement in the temp. The actual unit that the probe is plugged into was still reading fine. I'll change the batteries before the next cook to be sure.[p]I have the dual probe model from Maverick. Love the thing. Sure makes the cooking a bit more relaxing since I don't have to get up to check things too often. [p]I'm thinking a brisket for this weekend sounds like a good idea![p]Robert

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Cornfed,[p]Yeah, friends, beer, egged food and good entertainment is hard to beat. 'cept maybe with more of the same.[p]Jethro