Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Question from a newbie

Kelly KeefeKelly Keefe Posts: 469
edited 5:50AM in EggHead Forum
Howdy! Recently purchased a BGE but haven't used it yet (Use it? They haven't even DELIVERED it yet and it's been two weeks. Grouse, grouse).[p]I purchased a large egg, ash tool, eggmate and cover which I felt was a pretty basic unit (got the temperature thermomoter and cast iron top, too). My question is: Is there anything else that falls within the "don't really need 'em but is sure nice to have 'em" catagory? For instance I noticed that there are quite a few references to fire brick to aid in in-direct cooking. I guess to answer that you'd need to know what I usually cook. Short answer is everything but breads/pizzas (and from what I've seen here I MAY have to change that). I've got all the usual inpedimentia like tongs, skewers, grill baskets and wok. Since the BGE is a far cry from my old Weber I'd appreciate any advice on neat toys to have.[p]Thanks in advance![p]Kelly


  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]It sounds like you have a very nice start. A polder type meat thermometer can be very useful, as a "V" shaped rack to hold roasts, etc. - inverted to hold ribs upright. Indirect cooking can be accomplished by the use of a drip pan, forcing the direct heat of the fire around the meal.[p]Your interests in expanding your outdoor cooking will grow with the use of your Egg. New items can be acquired as the need arises. You really are in for a treat with charcoal hearth baked pizza, calzones, stromboli, and bread :-).[p]Give a shout here for any help.[p]Spin
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Spin,[p]Oops! That should read "AND a "V" shaped rack". Polders don't work well and are not very useful when used as a prop for a piece of meat.[p]Spin

  • FireballFireball Posts: 354
    Kelly Keefe,
    Go out and purchase a pair of heavy duty fire resistant gloves. They are very useful for move fire bricks or pizza stones.

  • EarlEarl Posts: 468
    Kelly Keefe,[p] Welcome to the form:[p] One thing I did not read, the tool to lift & remove the grille. I think it is called a grille griper, or something like that. I don't think you will get along without, unless you use gloves.
    As well, the pizza stone or fire bricks will come in handy once you get up & going,then,you will find that everthing will fall into place.
    Sure hope your egg shows up soon,we'er hungry, Hee Hee[p]Earl

  • Kelly KeefeKelly Keefe Posts: 469
    My thanks to Earl, Spin and Fireball for the advice. Will try and find a Polder thermometer somewhere in this backwater town. Found the firebricks at Lowes yesterday. Earl, I didn't get a grill gripper since I could imagine why I'd need to remove a hot grill and figured if I did a pair of pliers would probably do the trick. Am I missing something?[p]Went to my dealer yesterday and inquired about where my egg is and when could I expect it. They said they'll be delivering it tomorrow. (Would you believe that mine will be the FOURTH BGE they've sold?) First up -- ribs. Maybe a chicken later (want to try that beer butt chicken recipe).[p]Somehow I get the impression that the BGE is not just a grill, it's a life style -- grin![p]Thanks again![p]Kelly
  • FingersFingers Posts: 37
    Kelly Keefe,
    Lowe's in my area carry a "Polder" type of thermometer also you may not want to pick up the grid with a pair of pliers as the grid is porcelan (sp) coated and may chip if pliers are used. I would reccomend either the gripper or a pair of gloves.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.