Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brinded Ham Ribs..Update.

Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited 8:21AM in EggHead Forum
I finished my brined/tenderquick ribs last night and field tested em on the table. My opinion..They were great if you like ham. But my opinion is that if you want ham, go buy a ham and cook it. The taste was very similar to ham, but I missed the BBQ sauce and or the plain rubbed smoked exterior taste. They just were not IMHO "RIBS".
I may over had a bit of overkill on either the tenderquick, or the salt in combination.
I did to pork chops along with the ribs in the same brining container. The chops were excellent and I coated those with ground peppercorn prior to the grilling. Nice and juicy and flavorful and did have the hammy taste to em, which I didn't detracted from the chop's themselves. Again, I think I might reduce both salt and tenderquick in a brine for chops. I might also substitute apple cider for the liquids.
Fun in trying tho...seldom is something really inedible except when you toss in a rubber glove like one of our gals...:-)

• Char-Woody, they will just have to work around the typo's.
    (example "to the pork chops = do the pork chops"...sigh!!
    And change "I may over had" to "I may have had a bit"...Makes better reading..!
    Char-Woodys best critic....C~W