Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooking my first spactchcocked chicken tonight...I have seen different methods of cooking the bird. One said direct, raised grid, and turn after 25 minutes.....Another said indirect, no raised grid, cook for an hour with no need for turning. Which do you suggest? I don't guess I can go wrong either way, just curious what the eggsperts think?

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,[p]Either way works just fine. With direct the skin gets crispier and you might need to check for hot spots to keep from over cooking part of the chicken. Indirect is a total no-brainer, which is why I do mine indirect. Get the dome temp from 350 to 375 and cook for about an hour. It comes out juicy and flavorful. It's our favorite way to cook chicken.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Smoking Jacket,
    I just did my first last weekend. Some olive oil and Dizzy Dust, direct, with a raised grate at about 350-375 dome. I used a probe in the thigh targeting 165 egrees. It took slightly over 1 hour. Did not turn. Let it rest for 20 minutes. It was the best chicken I have ever had. Already planning to do my Thanksgiving turkey this way. I love the way the breast and the dark meat get done at the same time with no fuss and muss.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    I have cooked quite a number of spatchcocked chickens, in fact it is one of my very favorite cooks on the egg. I do mine indirect on a raised grid with a drip pan under it. I cook it at about 375 degrees and depending on the size of the chicken about an hour to an hour and a quarter without turning. It always comes out super and the leftovers just make the best sandwiches you can imagine. Good luck, Bucky

• Smoking Jacket
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys...I can't wait to fire up the egg tonight. Because I don't have a good way to get a raised grid at this time (no fire bricks), I think I will go indirect tonight and may try direct on a future cook.[p]Thanks again.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,[p]It is indeed hard to mess-up a spatch'd chicken. The most common short-fall is skin not crispy enough. Because of that, I tend to do them direct, but it is more of a fuss. If done indirect, you can air dry the skin in a 'fridge if you have time, or dust them with corn starch to help with the crisping. Recently I tried brining one at room temperature for a few hours, patted it dry, rubbed it with Ragin' River, and "sear" cooked" it at 450, flipping 4 times every ten minutes. The outside crusted, while the inside was literally dripping wet.[p]Have fun,
    gdenby

• JMc
    JMc Posts: 6
    Options
    Direct, Skinside down until it looks nice and golden brown then flip and cook till done. [p]

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    gdenby,[p]on that 450 degree cook, was that direct? Sounds like something I would like to try. When you say crusted, you mean crispy skin, right?