Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What else do I need to buy with my first BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This site's recipes (and pictures) is forcing me to open my wallet and buy a BGE. I'm going to go with the large size.
(Will a large fit in the trunk of a Honda Accord?)[p]
What else should I buy?:
1. Cover
2. Nest
3. Shelves(?)
4. Other(?)[p]Thanks in advance for any info and looking forward to my first BGE meal.

Comments

• Cabdriver
    Options
    Moosehead,
    Pretty sure it won't fit in the back of an Accord standing up -- maybe if you lay it down -- would need to brace it to keep it from rolling around. Perhaps better to have it delivered. I bought everything you indicated -- cover, nest, mates (definitely get the mates -- side tables). Also make sure you have the daisy wheel top for the Egg. Necessary for proper control of the temp.

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Moosehead,[p]I transported my egg home from the mother ship with the base strapped into the passenger front seat of my Infinity J30 and the rest of the parts in the trunk. We removed the egg from the box and put the base in the seat, using the seat belt to hold it steady. Just make sure you have the stainless steel door facing away from the seat, or the handhold part might punch a slit in your leather seats. :-([p]Otherwise, it was no problem.[p]I skipped the nest and set my large BGE on a pair of cinder blocks until I had a chance to build a wooden table. Inside my old gas grill was a great place to store tools and fire brick until I had the table.[p]Get a package that includes the spring hinge, daisy wheel top, grid gripper, and ash tool. (Maybe that is all standard now and I'm dating myself). Future accessories should include a grid extender or fire bricks, a second grate, a plate setter, a dip pan, and a dual remote thermometer.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Moosehead,
    I brought mine home unassembled and it fit in the Honda.
    Later on, I found out the dealer would've delivered it and assembled it at no additional charge.[p]Stike basically put it together for me while I helped. [p]The nest and gratemates were going to cost me about $150 so I decided to build a table for $200.[p]A cover's not needed right away. I have a cover but it's to protect my table, not my Egg. Lots of folks leave 'em out and uncovered all year long.[p]Ash tool is a must have.
    I'd recommend the platesetter too. You don't HAVE to get it, I just like it better than using a raised grid and firebricks.[p]Go to the Naked Whiz's site for an encyclopedic repository of Egg info.

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Moosehead,
    Dont know if you are new smoking/grilling or not.I would suggest a Mapp torch or a chimney starter as well as a Polder thermometer.Plate setter is not a must have right away because you can use a roasting or drip foil pan with a roasting or rib rack to do a indirect cook.I almost forgot a pair of long tongs to get the food out,a must have for steaks.You will have a hot fire going and you dont want to try to pick up that rib eye with a fork.

• Metalhead
    Options
    Moosehead,
    I carried mine home in the front seat of my[p]'84 300ZX[p]if I can do that your honda should hold it

• Moosehead,[p] If you get the plate setter you might as well get the Pizza Stone. Even if you don't eat pizza you will be drooling over all the bread pictures that get posted here too..[p] I brought Humpty home in my Jeep. Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum made the trek from Atlanta to Raleigh in an Explorer and from Raleigh to my home in the back of my jeep. Miss Penny rode in style in the back seat of an F-250 King Cab. [p] They ride quite nice in the back seat and you won't hear them saying "Are we there yet?"
  • Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Options
    Moosehead? nice nick, from NB?[p]As to the accessories, buy what you can afford, you will as some point buy more of them later anyway ;-)[p]I am able to carry my large in my 4 door Civic, but out of the box.