Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops & Bacon ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What temp/setup/time? I'm thinking indrect w/ drip and grate @ 375 for about 30 min. Should I consider the raised grate? [p]TIA

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ghostlight, I cook it at around 350-375 for 30 minutes or so. The big thing is getting the bacon done without burning. The scallop is done after about 5 minutes. The amazing thing to me is that the scallops don't get completely dried out after 30 minutes. I think direct over a raised grill would be excellent. Just make sure you don't try too many at a time or the grease will create a big fire. If you want to do a lot at one time I woudl suggest using the drip pan with a bit of water just to keep the grease from flaming up.

• Ghostlight,[p]I've never tried it on an Egg, but my general experience has been that scallops cook much (much) faster than bacon. This is an issue because scallops quickly become rubbery when overcooked. This is even more of a problem given that good dayboat scallops are almost impossible to find (thanks to our friends at Wanchese Seafood, most scallops are treated with chemicals that stabilize them and cause them to retain water while out on the boat). The way I get around this is by grilling the scallops quickly over pretty high heat and them serving them on top of bacon-corn relish.[p]Good luck.[p]Matt
  • 6jan07-014.jpg
    <p />Ghostlight,
    i've done this cook twice on the egg now, once direct and once indirect. the key is the direction you wrap the bacon.[p]10feb07-008.jpg[p]either set-up, they are done when the bacon is to your liking......

• RobMonctonNB
    Options
    Why ruin scallops by wrapping them in bacon. When cooked properly with some nice seasonings...they stand well on their own. Number one rule....don't overcook them!!! Basically, just warming them up and sear and outside.

• 6jan07-017.jpg
    <p />Rob in Bathurst, NB,
    true dat...
    but...[p]the bacon doesn't ruin the scallop, the flavor of smoked bacon and a maple syrup & honey glaze complement the scallop's natural sweetness.[p]put em both in front of me and they will be gone
    :)

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]That's the way I wrap them. The bacon gets cooked pretty quick and it protects the scallop.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,
    i learned it from your cookbook...
    sorry to spill the secret
    :)

• RobMonctonNB
    Options
    Ohhhh....those scallops look better. I'm a scallop nazi...goota be done right or don't bother.

• drbbq
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I was wondering...........
    Thanks for being honest.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,
    after i posted my first bacon wrapped scallop cook someone asked how i got the bacon done without overcooking the scallop. i didn't tell them the method, but i said to get your cookbook and find out. then i felt bad cause i didn't tell them how to do it. but i couldn't just post the secret either. i told someone they could figure it out by looking at the photo...[p]so, with your permission, if anyone ever asks again and i post again to help, i'll say "per drbbq........"[p]i look forward to meeting you in atlanta and having you sign both my cookbooks

[ul][li]my first bacon-wrapped scallops[/ul]
  • drbbq
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Sure, tell 'em. [p]Ohhh Atlanta! See you there.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ