Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of my first Low and Slow

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Came out great!
Put it on at 7:00 pm, uneventful night and pulled 'er off at 195 at noon.
Foiled towelled and coolered her till about 4:30 when I opened 'er up.[p]Damn good stuff! Wife and youngest child were like seagulls at the beach- they started eating my food and wouldn't leave me alone![p]All in all, a good experience and a fine meal!
The only thing I did wrong that I can tell is that I may have waited too long to eat. The longer the meat was out the cooler and less juicy it got.[p]This was an Egg first for me where (I think) EVERYBODY liked it!
Here's the Egg as I was about to take the pork off. The smoke had pretty much stopped and the grate temp was climbing close to 300
ON-1.jpg
opened the lid and this baby was waiting!
ON-3.jpg
After I took my platesetter out, I was surprised how much lump was left after running for 18 hours straight!
ON-4.jpg
This was good stuff! It'll make some good lunch for me this week too!
ON-5c.jpg

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Hey Flashback Bob,
    Great job on your lo-n-slo! I remember the first time I did an overnight Butt I had the same problem with the vultures standing in the wings... my 14 y/o son was trying to scarf up all the bark before I could mix it in! Looks like it was very tasty...congrats.
    Robert

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Flashback Bob,
    Nice job! I like it during the week on pistolet buns, a little cole slaw, and honey mustard. YUMMMM!

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Are those cracks in your firering? If so, how long have you had your egg? thanks Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Flashback Bob,
    that's great to hear bob...
    i knew you'd been having trouble getting everyone on board, sounds like you did real well this time.[p]not sure about going that long in a cooler. i find the meat does sorta dry out afer a while. remember, there aren't any real 'juives' to speak of any more in that thing when it's at200 degrees. it is truly overcooked, but moistened with collagen, which makes it really moist. so there really aren't juiceds to 'redistribute' themselves as we think a roast does.[p]plus, i dunno. i never have ANY luck waiting. maybe a half hour. i've waited a couple hours and pulled, and pulled as soon as it's come out. always had better luck just diving in and eating the thing rather than standing around tapping toes.[p]glad this one went well for you....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    Yeah, thanks to you and everyone else who helped edumacate me.
    I won't wait so long next time, but this time I wanted to let it rest before I dived in and I knew it could wait a couple hours.[p]So I gave it 5 and it was still good, it just "aged" more quickly. [p]I tell you it was great stuff and I will be doing it again!