Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for DobieDad fony mashed potatoes or cauli ideas

Options
DTM
DTM Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a question on your phony mashed spuds.
Do you roast the garlic or add raw?
Really looking for a way to do cauli...challenging for me to cook and eat. I'll try your post line..
DobieMom put together her famous (in this house) phony mashed potatoes (steamed cauliflower whipped with butter, mayo and about a thousand cloves of garlic - - oh, so good!).
But help would be great.
Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Hi Dan,[p]In close consultation with DobieMom I found out that her starting point for this is a recipe from 'The Ultimate Low-Carb Diet Cookbook' by Donna Pliner Rodnitzky (2001), page 287.[p]It calls for
    1 lb cauli broken into small florets and steamed
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1 Tbsp butter at room temp
    1/4 tsp coarse salt
    1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper[p]Well, my wife altered the above in the following way[p]substitute mayo for the cream
    add one clove of crushed fresh garlic (a little goes a looong way!!!)[p]
    Add all to the bowl of a food processor and process until pureed.
    Check the seasonings and add salt or pepper as needed.[p]I mentioned your suggestion of roasting the garlic first, and got a knowing smile in return. Looks like we will soon try this with roasted garlic![p]Thanks for the question![p]DD & DM

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    DobieDad, [p]That really sounds good. I put it in my must do file.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    DTM,
    If you are doing the low carb thing, this site has a ton of recipes. -RP

[ul][li]carbs[/ul]
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Thanks. We've done the low carb thing a couple of times in the past.[p]We've kept using this recipe because we like it, but we are not on any diet at the present time . . . and it shows . . . sigh . . . :-([p]This will kick-start us.[p]DD
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Thanks DD for the info. I'll try it tonight w/ our steak.
    Dan