Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Salmon w/o Alder Block

Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a great salmon filet and want to cook it tommorow night. Have a recipe for it using a alder plank, but don't have a alder plank yet.
Do have alder chips however. Can anyone suggest a way to cook it? Thanks

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Daddy, I have the Chinook Alderwood Salmon plank, and you do have to use care with it. For starters, I would suggest a thin cedar plank or cedar shingle if you wish to use a plank. Otherwise, a basket or direct on the grill will be fine with Alder wood chips.
    There are some great salmon cooks out there that can offer better advice...
    Good luck..
    C~W

• Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
    Char-Woody,
    Cooked some great Salmon last night. Marinated for 1 hour in "Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce" then cooked it for 55 mins. at 250 degrees indirect on large egg with Alder chips on coals. Had plate sitter upside down (legs up) on top of ring, drip pan on sitter and grate on top of sitter legs. Have done Salmon many times on Gas Grill but this is first on the Egg (have only had Egg for 2 weeks). My wife siad it was the best Salmon she's ever had. I agree.
    Thanks for the help!
    Big Daddy

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Daddy, thats a great way to do it if not using a cedar plank. Thank you for your use of the indirect method. When one has a problem with hot spots or charring of the meats, indirct seems to solve that problem nicely.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W[p]