Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning My New Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was told I had to "season" my new egg prior to cooking on it. What do I need to do? I didn't see anything about this on the video or manual?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Will,[p] A little salt and pepper will be fine :)[p] OK OK who told you needed to SEASON your egg? Unless you got the cast iron grates just get out a piece of chicken and cook it :)

• Will,[p]no seasoning required. . ..fire that baby up and throw some meat on it!! . . .[p]and WELCOME TO THE CULT!! . ..btw. .use that manual to help start the fire the first time. ..any questions, find the answers here on the forum. . ..

• Cook me a big fat steak, some ribs, and a potato and it should be good. LOl[p]I didnt do anything to mine. Ive heard of "seasoning" offset or vertical smokers but not BGEs. Doesnt mean your not supposed to but I didnt.
  • Will,
    no seasoning required, just spry grid with pam and start cooking
    good luck
    Bobby-FTW-TX

• Celtic Wolf,[p]My brother n law said he put a few pounds of bacon fat in his and cooked it for about 4 hours to "season it." I'm guessing he's smoking ditchweed from all the responses...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Will,[p] I reckon he was.. Dayum!! I hope that bacon fat burnt out of it..
  • Will,
    all your BIL did was spread a bunch of grease all over his egg. .. then, to avoid acrid smoke on his next cook, he'd have to really fire it up to burn all that crap off ...[p]if you are ever at his house, and he is proudly showing you all the dark smoke coming out of his egg and saying how the good the food in there is gonna taste ...well. . .tell him you'll put your food on once its stopped smoking like that. ..good smoke flavor comes when there is just a wisp of smoke coming out of the egg .. ..

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Will,
    Who ever told you is wet behind the ears.Just take a picture of it now while it is clean because it will never be like that again.Happy Eggin.Throw the book away and get the right answers on this forum.Welcome aboard.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ...and tell yer B-I-L to visit the forum too. looks like he's been going it alone. bacon grease?
    hahahaha[p]yeesh[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Will,[p]Listen to these folks. Throw away the manual and come to this forum for all of your answers. My food didn't start tasting good until I asked these guys what to do.[p]Good luck!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Bham Egger,[p] I told the wrong egger he needs to get a new family HAHAHAHAHAHA[p]
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]That was a good one!
  • Will,
    one thing you might want to consider is a maximum 350 degree cook for the first few cooks to "set" the gasket and adhesive. i've seen many, many posts where people state they have melted their gasket and the dome is stuck to base or the gasket fell off the dome in places. from my limited time on this forum, i conclude a trex steak sear or a "let's see how hot this puppy will get" cook is the cause of premature gasket failure. (this is not in the "manual" either)[p]what exactly did the bil say to do with the bacon grease? slather it on the inside all over? coat the outside all over? grease yerself up? surely it was just a misunderstanding?[p]welcome to the show![p]p.s. i am continually amazed at the number of "pitch the manual" or "use the manual to start the lump" comments. i write manuals (construction specifications) and if i kept repeatedly hearing about how bad the manual was, i'd try to revise the manual. does anyone know if a manual revision is in the future?

• Will,
    Avoid the ditchweed! Just cook and enjoy.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    you know, at this point, the good folks at BGE certainly know how the manual is talked about and reviled . .. i almost think that manual is passing into 'urban lore' and if they ever did fix it, still no one would read the darn thing. . .they oughta stick some kind of prize number and phone call info on an interior page and see if anyone reads far enough into it to find the number and call to get a prize :)

• DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p] I can relate to that gasket frying thing on the first cook! Just don't light it, leave all the vents wide open and get distracted for 40 minutes or so, otherwise you'll see a volcano on your patio! ;->
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    hahaaa!
    we can't get contractors to read the manual either!

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Ditto the -keep it below 350* for the first few cooks.-
    It seems most of the fried or fused gaskets are the result of high temp cooks with a new Egg.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    DannyV,
    i'm always surprise by the number of new users who post "i wandered away for about forty minutes and came back to find my egg at 900 degrees...".[p]it's as if the fumes from the charcoal induce temporary amnesia.[p]can you imagine anyone wandering away from their gas grill for that long? i doan get it.
    hahahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante