Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg-cessories

DarylDaryl Posts: 27
edited 7:11PM in EggHead Forum
I plan to purchase a "large" BGE this week. What accessories would you experienced users recommend for a new user? I am now considering the following:[p]Natural lump charcoal
wax fire-starter
Hickory and Mesquite Wood Chips
Precision Temperature Gauge
Dual Function Metal Top
Ash Tool
Vertical Roaster
v-rack
latching hinge

·

Comments

• Daryl, matter of fact I would skip the vertical rack as mine just gathers dust since I switched to Willie's sitters.
    http://www.barbecue-store.com/sitters.htm
    Unless your dealer is well stocked you might want to go ahead and have them order a plate sitter and a pizza stone as well. You can do nicely with fire bricks but the plate sitter is designed to be "just right".

·
  • MikeyMikey Posts: 56
    one feral kat,
    I second those Willie Sitters. I've cooked with them and the v-rack as well and the sitters win hands down. They are an excellent product. I bought one 6 or 8 weeks ago and liked it so much that 2 weeks ago I ordered the turkey sitter and a second chicken sitter. The turkey sitter came in, but the chicken sitter is on backorder so it might take a couple of weeks.[p]Mike[p]

·
  • DarylDaryl Posts: 27
    Mikey,[p]Thanks for the tip on the Willie Sitters - I ordered the turkey sitter for now.[p]Daryl

·
  • Daryl,[p]I am not sure what wax fire starter is, but you need nothing more than the fire starter cubes that are made by BGE, Webber and others (about $2.50 for 24 cubes). If waax fire starter is something different, I would skip it.[p]Regards,
    E1

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Daryl, Those are all good suggestions so far. I like the grill grabber tool as well. JCA

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Daryl,
    Grab a Polder or Maverick Remote thermometer as well.
    JimW

·