Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Egg Help

Options
TheStormyDOg
TheStormyDOg Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I accidently had my XL freeze shut over the week with the placesetter and grill both inside, on top of this the draft door at the bottom is frozen shut as well. The old trick of dropping a starter cube in the top won't work so how can I safely de-ice the egg.
Winter is cold up here in Canada...
Thanks
thefozendog

Comments

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    I would take a blow dryer (hair dryer) and heat up the lower vent door long enough to get that open.[p]Then ... light a couple of large chunks of charcoal and flick them in the lower vent and let 'em burn. Should produce enought heat to thaw you out.[p]Tried it once and worked for me.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    You could put a drop light through the vent, seal it with aluminum foil and it would thaw out. Probably not the fastest but fairly safe. Hope this helps. AZ

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    TheStormyDog,[p] You will not find a pump house in or around my home that doesn't have a 100 watt bulb burning in to 24/7 during the winter. The mild heat from that bulb keeps the pipes from freezing. Do as AZ said. Lower a light hundred watt bulb into the cover. It will thaw out pretty quick. The hair dryer on the lower vent will work too.[p]