Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey temps??? breast or leg temp?

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
11 pound turkey hits the cooker for the Easter feast today.....temps????
breast or leg?
Was is 175º in the leg for readiness?
Mop!

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mop,
    180* thigh. 140* breast

• Mop
    Options
    thankyaverymuch...thankya thankya[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mop, woooooaaaah...JJ hit a wrong key..170 maximum in the breast...140 is incorrect. (sorry JJ)
    C~W[p]

• Mop
    Options
    Char-Woody,hey!, maybe there was method to his madness...LOL[p]thanks for the warning, er I mean the help....LOL[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Mop, He was half right...,180 thigh and 170 breast is the standard for all poultry, chicken, turkey, duck, goose, quail, cornish hen,,ect. Now I don't know whether to have cornish hen tomorrow or beer brat's..I think Cornish Hen, BTW..JJ has a great Cornish hen recipe.
    Good cooks to ya...!!
    C~W[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    We think alike,i had cornish hens last night and having your beer brats tonight.Tomorrow all my family will be at my house for Easter lunch,pork loins served with Larry's Yummy Sauce.Kaye must be cooking 10 things to go with the pork,Happy Easter.[p]lar-ree

• Mop, i don't think JJ is to far wrong . i take the breast off at 150 and tent , then return the carcass and cook till 180 . the breast is cooked perfectly , and moist . reg

• Char-Woody
    Options
    YB, I'm packing my bags...whats your address again??
    Have a great dinner...!
    C~W[p]

• Mop
    Options
    reg,seems to me in the past I have read 165º to 170º breast temp........cooker temp 350º to 375º[p]Mop

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    That is correct sir! [p]I think what reg was saying is that he pulls the bird when the breast is 150, and wraps foil around the breast section and returns it to the cooker. That way the thighs get done to 180, without overcookng and drying the breast. I have not done this, but it sounds like something to try. The egg is pretty good at keeping the breast meat moist though.[p]Happy Easter to you and all.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop
    Options
    Nature Boy, sounds good, and Happy Easter to you as well.[p]I think I might try the foil over the breast thing next time...that 11plus pound bird was borderline overdone in the breast leaving the underside almost underdone......IN 2.5 HOURS!!!!
    Charwoody makes a valid point with the vrack in the aluminum pan.....I`m gonna rig something else up next time for the turkey......it sure tastes friggin good though...
    Mop!