Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you get me up to speed on accessory's?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So.... what the heck is a plate or place sitter? How do you use it? What does it do? Do I have to have one, or will "two firebricks" do? And... I recall seeing some stuff on an expanded metal fire grate last year. Did that ever pan out? (I'm curretnly Large BGE/Slide Metal Top/Fancy Locking Hinge.) [p]THANKS!!![p]Mike

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Mike Flaherty,
    It's a plate setter and it looks like a pizza stone with 3
    ceramic legs. Placed in the egg with the feet down and a
    pizza stone on top and your pizza will be level with the
    top of the bottom of the egg.
    Turned upside down ( legs up ), you can put another grill
    on it and have an indirect setup.
    Finally, I use mine upside down on my table and clamp my
    halogen light to one of the legs.
    All of this can be done with firebricks, but I find the
    setter very handy.[p]Chuck

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Mike Flaherty, the exapnded metalk grate is a metal grate cut from expanded metal (also called diamond because of the way the spaces appear). Put in place of the standard ceramic grate it allows more air to reach the coal and will therefore burn hotter (thus "turbo grate"). Try one (they're cheap to create - look at the one KennyG put on the forum some time ago - basically a short cylinder to support the flat grate all made from the expanded metal) and see if you like it.[p]For your other question, two half-thickness fire bricks will suffcie for most everything. However, the plate setter is nice and quite convenient.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    gratesm.jpg
    <p />Wise One,[p]Here is a picture of the one in my small Egg.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's[/ul]