Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Pepper Sauce Tenderloin

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEBlackPepperSauceTenderloin010.jpg
<p />This sauce was an unexpected surprise with tonight’s tenderloin. Marinated two hours in ziplock then went to the hot tub for about 45 minutes. Used my enameled pan I got for Christmas, man I like this thing. Egg at 325, setup indirect with my stainless diverter and contraption.

BGEBlackPepperSauceTenderloin002.jpg

The tenderloin was melting tender, nice warm kick of pepper. I deglazed the pan with a little sherry, water and thickened with cornstarch. This made a nice Chinese gravy for added flavor.

BGEBlackPepperSauceTenderloin005.jpg

Clay

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Yummm!!! Is that steam I see coming off the meat????? lol ;)
    Can you tell me what brand/ size of pan you have? I've been looking for something to use in my large egg as well.

• Clay Q
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Sure. Chantal, made in Austria, model 60-33, 5.75 qt.
    9 x 13 x 3 inside measurments
    10 x 15.5 x 3.25 outside measurments (with formed handles)
    Because I do a lot of traditional cooks my wife thought it would work out for the egg. She was right. The enameled steel cleans up real easy. Perfect for bear or moose roasts, salmon with sauce. :o)
    Clay

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ClayQ,
    wow.[p]nice twist to cook the tenderloin in the pan like that for a pan sauce. i tend to simply sear everything.[p]was it indirect? looks like there's something below the pan.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Options
    stike,
    I'm trying out a new setup and so far it's working great. I have a stainless barrier built into the grid that is between the burning lump and a two level grid. This barrier serves a couple of purposes; create indirect heat, eliminate hot spots and allows the lump to burn more effeciently. The concept is centered on mixing hot and cold air(the space above burning lump with space above non burning lump) together for redistribution threw a ported 'lump hob' of sorts.
    What I'm finding is the fire is burning BETTER with this setup. More complete and evenly. Not sure yet but I'm guessing the entire firebox of lump is pre-heating for more effecient combustion when the fire is going. I have more testing to do with cooking at lower temps. This thing works great with pizza and breads.
    Clay

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ClayQ,
    hey that's really cool. have you posted about this set-up before? if so, i've utterly missed it.[p]any chance you could school us a bit as to what the par-tik-ulars are and what you think is going on? [p]pretty interesting

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Options
    stike,
    Not sure what I have here, needs more testing. Looks promising. No, I have not posted pic's or discussed this in detail.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Looks great man.I have neve tried that sauce before.Question is, the better half does not like hot and spicey,how would you describe the heat level of that product? For me heat is no problem,but the other half is a diffeent story.

• Clay Q
    Options
    darnoc,
    It's not super hot but yes, it has heat! There's a good punch of black pepper flavor that works so well with steak if you taste right out of the jar.(I did) Mix in some teriyaki sauce to thin and the heat will further soften. Water or oil added will dilute the strength also. I was suprised how good this tasted. I love the flavor of tellicherry black peppercorns and this comes ready made to mop, sauce or marinate what you got cookin. Anybody that likes cracked pepper will like this sauce, I believe. Ingredients; Water, sugar. soy sauce, salt, tomato paste, yeast extract, black pepper, modified corn starch, dried garlic, soybean oil, carmel color, oyster extractives, citric acid. www.LKK.com
    Clay

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thank you for such a quick answer.I stopped by my local oriental grocer and they did not have what you described.Will check out larger chain stores and will more than likely find it.Checked out the web site and they did not say what was in it.I wont dilute my sauce,but mom will get the watered down version.Thanks again for the info.Have many good cooks ahead.