Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg-Owner (small) with a couple questions

Cheryl
Cheryl Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi... I am now the proud owner of a Small Big Green Egg...and have a couple questions.....[p]1. The door seems so small at the bottom.... just how do I remove the ashes from such a tight space? [p]2. the pre-drilled hole for the temp gauge is too small....can't they use the right size drill bit at the factory??[p]3. Any special suggestions for my first "eggsperience"?? [p]This looks like a great product and a wonderful forum. I'm looking forward to many culinary adventures <G> Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Cheryl,
    I'm somewhat new to cooking on my BGE. Since I bought a large and the thermometer fits fine, so I can't answer your first 2 questions.
    As for what to cook first: I'd cook something I'm comfortable with so you know what the expected outcome is and can judge/adjust accordingly. Least that's what I've been doing.
    Enjoy!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cheryl, welcome to the forum..!!
    There is a special ash tool just for the small, as well as for the Medium and large BGE's..I think the small also fits the Mini, but I am not sure. I will try it this afternoon. Its a wire wound L shapted tip to scrape out the ash and to move behind the firechamber to skooch (nuther new word) out the ashes. I use a pie plate or similar to scoop the ash into. Makes good stuff for composting..
    If your using the BGE thermometer, the hole should be large enuff. It may have some glaze residule in it. If you need a drill bit size the stem diameter is 0.155.
    The small is well known for its great steaks, chops and burgers...
    Good luck..
    C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Cheryl,[p]If your thermometer has the plastic face - it was a tad bit larger diameter than some holes in the dome. Mine was that way but a drill bit a size larger did the trick. There is nothing too critical about the size hole so just ream it out a little. A loose fit is OK and won't hurt a thing and will soon plug itself somewhat.[p]They make an ashtool for the large and medium and one for the small so make sure you get the right one. You can make a L shaped rod to scrape out the ash every week or so.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE site[/ul]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Cheryl,[p] You have made a good choice & one you will not regret in the coming years. You may want a larger thou, but I have no bought, selling the small so you can up grade, will not be a ptoblem. As for the hole in the top, you can go one size up in drill bits and the fit will be right for the temp gauge.
    Jump in anytime.[p]Earl

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Earl,[p] I realy do have to get spell check, or at least, slow down alittle.[p] Earl
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Cheryl,
    You can certainly remove some ashes from the bottom vent. However, the best way to remove ashes is to remove any unused lump and the ceramic grate with the round holes in it. Then, using a cup of some sort, just scoop out the ashes into a bag. Replace the grate and load with lump and you're ready to go.
    JimW