Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Request for Mini Pics

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about getting a Mini this spring that I'll be able to travel with. I checked with my local dealer and it looks like I can get one for about $225. Then I started thinking, if I could get a small for around $300, maybe I should. I don't need a small at home, the large is fine. In fact I was thinking the addition of the mini could provide extra cooking space at a different temperature if I wanted it. I seldom cook for more than 2 adults and 2 kids and when I do cook for more, the cooking area of large has proved to be fine.[p]I have seen a great many pictures on this site of the Mini cooking all sorts of stuff, so I'd like to take another look to see what this little guy can do. I'm thinking maybe I can make a raised grid for it too, so I can fit more thighs/wings/drumsticks on it?[p]Anyone ever cook with a wok on it?[p]Any pics you can post of a mini in action will be greatly appreciated.[p]Thank you!

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    BGERibEyes1_07005.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,
    I'll be taking the mini on vacation.

BGERibsmimibutt5_06003.jpg

BGEMiniaccessories006.jpg

BGEsetup_chicken_steaks009.jpg

BGEsetup_chicken_steaks031.jpg

BGEBratsMiniHandle007.jpg

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    ClayQ,[p]I've had a mini in my sights, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm getting closer. Nice work on the pizza stone.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    ClayQ,[p]Is that just an extra fire ring to get the grid lifted in the pics?
  • Clay Q
    EggcredibleHulk,
    Yes, it's another fire ring, one on top of the other. It's installed inverted and I call it a grid ring.

• Clay Q
    thirdeye,
    Thanks,
    Well, to be honest, the mini is.....mini. So you got to think mini food, mini capability, mini this and that. But man, that baby can get hot just like the big daddy. [p]I have a stainless indirect pan setup also. My next mini project is to build a mini box/traveler. Is this fun or what?!! :o)

• thirdeye
    f0d591e1.jpg
    <p />ClayQ,[p]Yeah, I cut out a paper circle just to get the general idea of size. When I built a platesetter for my small I found a stainless pie pan for the drip pan. [p]How often do you cook indirect on the mini with your stone? I'm thinking a sandbagger style ring and a stainless pan may be a good place to start.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Clay Q
    thirdeye,
    Sandbagger's stainless ring design is excellent and would work great. I'm using my little stainless pan for all my indirect mini cooks for the time being. Your going to have to figure out a raise grid to make room for lump...so the stainless pan sits about 2" above the top of the firebox. My pan sits just below the top edge of the firering by 1/2". The firering is just about 2 1/2" tall so I'm almost 2" above the top of the firebox. Because the firebox is so small I fill it up into the firering with lump so I get a good fire that will burn for hours without fail. Does my babble make any sense? I need another coffee.

• thirdeye
    00e8f14a.jpg
    <p />ClayQ,[p]That's what I'm thinking, maybe even a taller ring than this one I built for my small. Without the pan I could do raised direct cooks too. (I'm talking like I already own one aren't I? Heheee.)[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ClayQ, the third picture down looks like a platesetter. Is that what it is? I didn't think they offered that. Can you tell me what that is, and the general price of it and the mini fire ring.[p]Thanks
  • Clay Q
    Grillicious,
    Yeah, it's a mini plate setter but BGE doesn't make it....not yet at least. I made it. The price? ahhhh, let's see.....well, after material expenses, time, R&D, prototype equipment, ect....total comes to $349.99 without shipping.
    The fire ring...don't remember, under 40 bucks?[p]

• ClayQ, did you cut that out of a pizza stone? Nice work! Does it have legs, or is it sitting directly on the fire ring? I already have a Sandbagger WooRing type raised grid on my list, and now I'll have to add this as well.