Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking woods

Options
Mikey
Mikey Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using hickory mostly, along with a little mesquite and was thinking of trying some other woods and see how I like their flavor. At the moment I'm interested in something for chicken and maybe pork (ribs, butt). Any recommendations for types and where I can order them are appreciated.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mikey, good topic, and check with WiseOne for some great pecan when he is up to boxing and shipping. He will let ya know the shipping costs..I think he has a limb or two left. Maple is excellent..sugar maple the best I think..I lean towards fruity woods for fish and poutlry..hickory for pork and beef as well as mesquite..Mesquite can give you a bit more bite than Hickory..[p]I can still smell the old hollow fired clay block house smoking shed on the farm, built in the 1920's, and the minute you opened the door the lingering smell of hickory smoked hams still prevailed. Walnut too. I think they mixed walnut shells with hickory to cure smoke em.
    Once smoked..they would hang em in the coolest room in the basement cellars..and they would get a inch of mold on em...Best dang bacon and ham's I ever ate...
    :-)
    And those were from some might fat hogs...!! C~W[p]

• Mikey
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the info. What kind of meat would you be smoking using Sugar Maple? [p]I thought I remembered someone here mentioning using pecan on ribs, but I could be mistaken. Hickory has really been good to me so far, but I am ready to try something new.[p]I also thought there was someplace online that you could order from, but I'll be danged if I can remember the name. Seems like "People's" was in the name, but I can't be sure. [p]Mike

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mikey:[p]I like sugar maple with chicken or fish. Try Jack Daniel's chips with your ribs or pork butts . . .

• Mikey
    Options
    djm5x9,
    >I like sugar maple with chicken or fish[p]Thats' what I would have guessed, but wanted to make sure.[p]>Try Jack Daniel's chips with your ribs or pork butts [p]Great idea! That should go well with my Jack and coke....[p]Thanks,
    Mike[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    djm5x9, good answer..same here.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Mikey, I use alot of "apple" for ribs and butt.....[p]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mikey,
    The most comprehensive listing I have found was put on line by Robins wood page. She has a list of just about anyone offering any type of wood...can`t personally verify any of them....caveat emptor..[p]Wess

[ul][li]Robins wood[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mikey,
    As you can see, everyone has their favorites! Chicken absorbs smoke readily, so if you use smoke other than the lump, a mild wood is best. Sugar maple, alder and the fruit woods. Pork is good with many things...I am getting hooked on using this Cherry wood that I have. Cherry is relatively mild and sweet, but is stout enough to hold up well with pork. A little bit is great with fish too.[p]Sounds like a deodorant commercial:
    Gentle enough for fish and chicken, but strong enough for pork! Cherry. In a forest near you.[p]Happy smoking
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Mikey,
    I think that this is the company that people have ordered from. I have not.
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Peoples Woods Company[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    There is a nice wood flavor chart on the How To Page.
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I went to college in southern Tennessee, about 30 or so miles from Lynchburg, where Jack's distillery is. We would buy their used oak barrels for $2 and take them back to campus, drain about a quart and a half of 140 proof Jack Black and then fill with about 3 gallons of water for a few months. They were sure some good bourbon and waters. Now that they've found a way to make some money by selling the barrels as chips, this source of cheap booze has now dried up for poor, deserving students.
    JimW

• A lot of people swear by hickory, but it's too harsh for my taste. I use:[p]Brisket - pecan or oak
    Pork (butt or ribs) - apple or pecan
    Chicken - cherry
    Fish (especially salmon) - alder[p]Pecan has replaced hickory for me. It is similar to hickory, but milder.