Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken legs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i plan on cooking some chicken legs direct on a raised grid. i did cook some chicken wings on a raised grid direct at 270 and they turned out great. would i used the same temp. and cook longer? any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Tiburon
    Tiburon Posts: 42
    Options
    ijd39,[p]That should work fine. I have a load of thighs on at about that temperature indirect. I would have gone direct with a raised grid.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    ijd39,[p]Like Tiburon said, you'll be fine doing the legs the same as the wings.
    Slow cooking legs, wings and thighs direct on a raised grid is the one of the easiest and most rewarding cooks you can do on the egg.
    I will build a smallish, even fire with the top of the coal bed just above the holes in the firebox, wait until the smoke is clean and cook the chicken around 250 dome temp for about 1.5 to no more than 2 hours flipping every 20-30 minutes or so. Never fails.... crispy skin and very tender meat.
    For your legs, you will be able to tell the meat is done when the skin starts to pull away from the gripping end of the drumstick.... good stuff and good luck![p]john