Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small pieces of lump

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this question has been discussed on this forum a few times but I need some more details. What does everyone do with the small pieces of lump from the bottom of the bag? I must have 20 pounds of small pieces lying around in my garage. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, tom

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]Small pieces of lump burn as well as large pieces. If they are so small that they would make a pile that would not allow air to flow through them spread some on top of each cook. If air came flow through them then us them just like regular sized lunp.[p]Spin
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BajaTom,
    if i were to build a fire for a lo-and-slo (as opposed to dumping from the bag, which i do 90% of the time), i'd use big chunks at the bottom and finish off at the top with medium-szed stuff. then in between i'd put the small bits to fill in and provide lots of bridging points for the fire to travel around wherever it wants to

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I collect them as you do, then put them in a small 15" Weber, let them smolder down and then roast marshmallows on them after dinner.[p]Kids enjoy them and we all have fun with it.
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Spin,Thats what I do with mine to, never have any left overs.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    BajaTom,
    For you guys out there that use a chimney starter mix it in with the medium stuff to put on the top of lump for starting.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]Like stike, I use the little bits as fire bridges betweem the bigger chunks.[p]The dust I'm saving for my garden. If you grow plants, or know someone who does, charcoal pea-size and smaller just by itself mixed in your soil works wonders. Soaked in liquid fertilizer for a few days, it becomes a perfect feed source for the plants root-hairs.[p]gdenby