Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

J.K. Wild Boar Sauce, Answers to questions.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HOW MUCH CHILE POWDER TO ADD.... it's impossible to tell- some chile powder is as hot as hell, somes not, and some folks like really HOT sauce, some can't handle it. But I think you can find out quickly..... if it's HOT, just add so much (1/4 cup?) at a time, and then taste. That's about the only way I know of not to get into trouble with Scoville! [p]Personally. I like stuff pretty dang HOT. But since not many of my friends do (weenies!), I make it pretty "weak", and then add the hot either by spice or by freshed chopped japalano or serrano, to my own servings. I've been using this stuff called Chipotle Morita lately (Kinda like rough chopped chipotle peppers). Or (my soapbox) seek out HATCH chile powder from HATCH N.M. Delicious deep red rich stuff. OR...since it makes so much, I split it up and leave some of it "MILD" and make some of it "ROCKIN'".[p]HOW MUCH KITCHEN BOUQUET TO ADD. Well, I haven't the vaguest, but the recipe says "Add to darken" so a few smallpourings (3 TBSP) seems to darken the sauce somewhat, so there I go! [p]HOW LONG TO COOK. I watched a friend make this this weekend, and he got confused. He didn't cook it enough. You need to simmer, so it's bubbling at, gosh how shall I say it... a low to medium rate, for 2 hours. Stove set at 2/3 the distance between low and medium. It will lose about 1/3 of it's volume, and get darker and thicker. When it's done, it's not thin like it started out, and it's not paste. Stir occasionally, but I've never had it stick. If it's getting sauce on your stove as it cooks, you probably have it on too high! [p]Vaya Con BBQ! [p]Mike Flaherty[p]

Comments