Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Browning meat in Dutch oven on Egg?

Options
BasementDwellingGeek
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on stewing some beef on the egg. The only other time I did this I browned the meat in the kitchen on the stove in a cast iron skillet first then transferred the beef to the Dutch oven on the egg. Today I've been thinking I could dirty one less utensil and do it all in the egg. Does anybody do it? If so please give details.[p]Wess, I did check to both the archives and the current page before posting. I do type slowly. So I apologize if some one has answered this question while I was typing ;-)[p]rb.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BasementDwellingGeek,
    I brown the meat in the dutch oven on the stove, add the rest of the ingredients, and then put it in the Egg.

• AZRP,[p]I purchased the 3-legged Lodge Dutch oven, perhaps foolishly, since I was thinking of using it while camping. Maybe I should have asked how-to brown meat in a 3-legged dutch oven on an electric range?[p]rb
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    BasementDwellingGeek ,[p]Why can't you just get it hot enough on the BGE and then brown the meat outside? Stick it on the Platesetter while it is coming up to temp and then sear away in the cast iron, I don't see why it wouldn't work.[p]-Jill
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    BasementDwellingGeek,[p]I've done it for chili. I cooked direct on the fire ring with the egg starting at 400 degrees. You have to open the dome a lot so there's no telling what the temperature is once you start cooking. I spray my DE with Pam and toss it in the 400 degree egg, give it a few minutes to warm up, and throw in the chili meat. When all the batches are done, deglaze with half a can of beer. You'll know what to do with the other half...
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Pb290112.jpg
    <p />BasementDwellingGeek,[p]
    I done it for ground beef and chuck roasts. Do it in the Egg.[p]P.S. The foil was an attempt to keep the pot clean.[p]
    Pb290113.jpg[p]Pb290114.jpg[p]Pb290115.jpg

• BasementDwellingGeek,[p]I ended up tossing the beef with a little EVOO and some Jamican Firewalk and browning in a couple of batches in grill wok. Much like the grill it sees the sink very rarely. Next time around I will just brown in DI in the egg. I was concerned about getting the egg too hot having read stories of trying to cool the egg after getting too hot. Foolish me! After adding the fluids and aromatic vegies to the DI and tossing it on the egg the temp went way down anyway.[p]rb