Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goodbye Corkey's ...Hello BGE withJJ's Rub of course

Options
Redneck
Redneck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow....Wow!!!!![p]I just finished off some of the best ribs that I have ever ate. Because I travel weekly, I have had the pleasure of eating at most of the top Rib joints from North Carolina to Memphis to Kansas City to Texas. I can say that the ribs cooked on the Egg tonight was better than any I have eaten at any of the so called "Best".[p]Started out with 4 slabs of baby backs. Using Tim M's directions, I peeled the membrane from the backside of the ribs and slathered them up with Mustard. Then I toped them off with a general coating of JJ's Rub, wrapped them up and into the fridge for 24 hrs. After posting yesterday about the types of wood to use , I followed the advice of the consensus and went with hickory.[p]I fired the BGE up and steadied it off to about 250 degrees and then inserted the slabs in using the 3/1/1.5 method. Yes I used foil.[p]But here's where I deviated some from recipe. When foiling the slabs, for God knows why, re-slathered two of the slabs of ribs with Orange marmalade and Pineapple preserves. The other two I just foiled as is. When I opened up the two with the additional sauce I discovered a foil full of juices. I then used this as their sauce during the direct phase. The other two I used a BBQ sauce (Jack Daniels)during the direct phase.[p]Without explaining the difference to the group I was using as testers, I found that the ones with the Preserves was the choice of the group. Also the asked if they could have the recipe for the Ribs.[p]My hat goes off to Tim M, JJ, Gfw and all the forum friends that helped make these ribs better than I would have ever imagined.[p]sincerly thankful,[p]Redneck

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Redneck,[p]Congrats on your rib success! I would never have thought to try the marmalade and preserves, but if they work, go for it! Always fun to impress an impartial jury of hungry eaters with food from the BGE.[p]Cornfed
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Redneck,
    That is a great report! Good idea to use those juices somehow. Last time I did the foiled version, I used the juices in the foil as a base for a finishing sauce I made up. Dang good.[p]The preserves sound like a great idea. Most of the folks in this house enjoy a little sweetness with their meat. I'll give it a shot next time we do ribs.[p]Cheers! and thanks for the report.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ