Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Poll

Gutrageous
Gutrageous Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1150.jpg
<p />Hello all,[p]I've got a chili cook off at church in a couple weeks and want to egg some chili.[p]After searching some recipes I've narrowed it down to KennyG's or ChefRD's.[p]If there's anyone that's a big fan of one or better yet tried both, i'd love to hear from you. I can't decide which to give a whirl.[p]Oh, and just for fun, the bread was cooked on the Egg last week. It is Alton Brown's "Very Basic Bread" recipe. Very Good.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Awesome looking bread. Can you tell me/us how you baked that ...temp / etc. etc.
    Thanks , I want to do one this weekend.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Gutrageous,
    I'd have to go with KennyG's recipe. Not only because it is an awesome recipe but you can't help but think he will be looking down and smiling about it.

• Gutrageous,[p]KennyG minus the beans is the way I would go. Remember, there's a difference between competition chili and eatin' chili. Competition chili is meat (often sirloin or similar cuts of meat) cubed and cooked in a smooth tomato based gravy. You never see a beaner called to the podium. One well known secret is to add some beef base (like boullion paste - found in the same place in the grocery store) to darken the gravy and intensify the beef flavor. It may not be legal in some competitions so check your rules.[p]Generic chili powder doesn't win. I use a mix of chipotle, ancho, and cayenne peppers, hot hungarian paprika, and cumin to make up my ";chili powder". If you do use beef base, add salt last or not at all. I usually don't add any to my best recipe. Lastly, don't be afraid to remove the meat from the chili when it's cooked and run the gravy through a blender to smooth it out. Put it back on the fire afterwards to be sure it's nice and hot for turn in.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Gutrageous,
    I cooked Kenny G's recipe for a crew during the Ga / Florida game back in late October... I've had requests for it since then... It turned out awesome. [p]I've cooked anothe rlarge batch of it since then for myself and frozen some and eat it all the time.[p]I have not had the other recipe, but there is certainly nothing wrong with Kenny G's recipe. [p]Chuck

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Anyone have KennyG's chili recipe handy? Thanks
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
  • Sutallee,
    Here's the post from KennyG where I found it:
    """
    What a great event!!![p]We just got back to Cleveland last evening and now it's time to get my act together. I'll be posting some pics later this morning.[p]Many of the "family" asked for my chili recipe and I'm at your service.[p]
    Here's the base recipe. This will provide 4 hearty servings and will
    double, triple, and quadruple nicely for company and larger crowds. I made a triple batch for EggFest.[p]1 large can (28 oz.) seasoned diced tomatoes and liquid (Muir Glen brand is the best that I've found), any brand will do.
    2 cans (14 oz. each) chili beans and liquid - mild or hot or one of each (I like Bush's but have had good luck with Joan of Ark, Libbeys, and the supermarket's house brand)
    1 lb. ground meat or sausage. (ground chuck, sirloin in any fat/lean
    combination, leftover sausage, etc. I used a 2:1 ratio of ground meat and spicy pork sausage in ATL.
    2-3 strips bacon
    3 medium cloves of garlic run through a garlic press.
    1 large or 2 small onions, medium chop (Vidalia or Texas sweet, Maui, etc)
    2 T. chili powder (McCormick is fine or something better)
    1 T. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 squirt Hershey's chocolate syrup or equivalent
    Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Splash of Tabasco sauce or your favorite
    1 tsp. oregano
    2 T. general purpose BBQ rub (Lysanders, Bilardo Bros, Dizzy Dust, etc)
    6oz. beef broth or better yet - beer or fruity red wine (use the cheap
    stuff)
    1 large dried chili pepper - pasilla (wimpy) Chipotle (hotter) pequin
    (hotter yet) Scotch bonnet or Habenero (five alarm)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Wood chunks - I used hickory, mesquite and pecan in ATL[p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 275-300°
    Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot",
    deep Corningware casserole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.
    Fry bacon extra crisp in a non stick skillet and remove and crumble into chili pot.
    Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat or sausage seasoning with salt and
    pepper as you go. Halfway through the browning process, add onions and
    garlic, drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried
    chili(s) on top.
    Add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well.
    Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or
    other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so. Remove the
    dried pepper when you have the heat you might be looking for. Monitor the
    chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. At about 140° internal and 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to almost a boil in about 30 more minutes.[p]Serve with thinly sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top.[p]It will taste even better the next day, of course.[p]
    Have fun and enjoy,[p]KennyG"""[p]