Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here is a question. say you smokeing pull pork. You Prep the meat. get your egg to 215. Now the dome tell you that the temp is at 215 degress. but you check the temp on the gride and it shows up at 160 degrees. So my question is what is the more accuate temp the gride? or the Dome? [p]
Happy New Year[p]Alan

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Alan,[p]Yes.[p]
    Seriously, the dome temp runs hotter than grid level. Iv'e got two pork butts on now @ 260 dome- I imagine that gives me 215 ish at the grate.[p]It was hot enough to bring the meat temp from 38 to 140 in right about 4 hours.[p]The grid & dome temperatures generally move closer together as the cook progresses.[p]hth
    BigT

• onelegchef
    Options
    Alan,
    From what i've read on the forum there is approx, 50 degrees difference between the dome and grill, the dome being the higher reading, kick the dome up to 250-260 and you should be good to go.
    Have a good cook
    Bobby-FTW,Tx

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Alan,
    The difference between dome and grid temp will vary depending on the meat temp. When you have a 10 lb chunk of meat @ 40 degrees sitting on the grid, you will have a much greater difference than when the meat is @ 180. -RP

• Alan,
    Sounds about right.
    They are both accurate, and you cook on the grid.

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    So cook at gride temp of 200 dome should be 250 and it should be good...