Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, broke a plate setter this weekend . .

Options
MCG DAWG
MCG DAWG Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
. . had three 9lb butts on the egg at 5pm on the 30th. Guru kept us at 225 but by 2pm the next day I was at 180 internal and out of charcoal despite loading the thing to the very top of the fire ring. Never been a problem before but it'd rained on the egg for most of this cook and I suspect that a constantly wet egg drew a bunch of the heat out and made my lump burn quicker via the guru fan trying to keep up. 21 hours isn't so bad anyway.[p]Well, got the butts and all my set up out so I could re-load. Upon replacing the place setter I set it down gently but I guess the large dousing of cold rain had done it no favors and it instantly snapped in too. Not good. I left it in and precariously balanced my drip pan on top of it as the two pieces sat on the new lump. Finished the cook in another 3 hours and had GREAT pork for New Years Party and then cooked up a bunch of ABT's, wings, and sausage. [p]So, learn from my mistakes and be very careful with a hot plate setter in the cold rain.

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    JB Weld! I broke a foot off mine and glued it back on. That was about 9 months ago and have used it heavily ever since.[p]P.S. Never put one on rough concrete and try to move it out of the way by pushing it with your foot. The legs do not like that.