Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackeyed peas for good luck

Options
wobin
wobin Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a old family recipe. Mine is just add bacon and seasoning. My mon had a good one but she's now strumin the harp for a little over a year. God I miss that gal.[p]Cheers and HNY, Glenn[p]

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    wobin,
    Here is one a friend of mine did in the 80's when we did New Year's Day for many!
    Peas, Black Eyed, Tennessee Jeanne's New Years Day
    [p]2 Lbs. Black Eyed Peas, Dried
    2-4 Lbs. Ham Hocks, Smoked
    2-3 Medium Onions, Sliced
    Lawry Seasoning
    Salt/Black Pepper to taste

Soak dried peas for 12 hours/overnight. Drain. Place in heavy pot with all other ingredients. Cover with water + 2 inches, bring to heavy boil, cover, reduce to simmer, cook 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: Tennessee Jeanne Evans, 01/01/89

[p]

• jwirlwind
    Options
    wobin,
    I have always just cooked them with fat back. But putting some jalapeno's in them are really good. Don't forget them there collard greens. [p]Chef Jerry

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Got my collards, got my peas, a pork tenderloin for the egg-n-me and makins for a pone on cornbread, OH Yea, it's gonna be a good day tomorrow.

• Deetwood
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,[p]Don't forget the Hog Jowl
  • gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    I used that for the first time this year and it was superior to the ham hocks that I had been using. My basic recipe is:[p]soak 1 lb beans overnight,
    add a little oil to a pot over medium-high heat,
    render the fat from the jowl,
    add one medium onion & one green bell pepper,
    cook until onion is translucent,
    add garlic and cook for 2 min,
    add a few tablespoons of red wine vinegar and scrape anything that stuck to the bottom,
    add the soaked beans & cover with 1 qt of chicken stock + 2 bay leaves,
    let it gently simmer for a couple of hours until beans are tender but not mushy.[p]If you like it spicy, just add some minced jalapeno and maybe some adobe sauce.