Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 Lb. ham is done!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I gotta tell ya, that's a lotta dang ham!
took just about 5 hours to reach 170º internal with the dome temp on a rock solid 350º
I did not brine.
It's tender.
The same general flavor of Pulled Pork is very apparent..
The salty taste we are accustomed to isn't there so, #1 Wife wasn't too enthused.
Well here are my observations on fresh ham.
Next time I will do a brine for about a week. I have an old crock around here somewhere. I might even consider Injecting too.
Not bad but not the greatest.
My opinion is that hams should be cold smoked then you can use Mr. Egg to heat them up. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying a fresh ham but I would strongly recomend a long brine. One thing for sure is the next one will be a whole lot smaller![p]
Carey[p]

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Sundown,
    The March April issuse of "Cook's Illustrated" has a great article on Discovering Fresh Ham Roast. I will try this on the BGE this spring. They list several recipes including Coke. Just an idea
    Fireball

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Fireball,[p]Someone had mentioned that to me a week or two ago. I'll head over to the library and see if I can find it.
    Thanks[p]Carey

• Sundown,
    i just finished a 20lb fresh ham and a 10lb butt. i love the fresh hams but i have never cooked one less than about 19 to 24 hours. i use Elder Ward's method i picked up on this web site. they just fall of the bone. i tryed a dry rub on the one i did this weekend. i put the rub on wed. eve and then left it in the frig till fri eve when i started the cook. i think i like just salt and pepper just as well as the rub. anyway it made for some greeat pulled pork bbq.