Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babybacks: Direct or Indirect??

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking some ribs tonight. Don't have my firebricks yet, but do have the ceramic plate setter. Should I invert it, and place the drip pan in it, and have my ribbies above? Seems to me it should work fine.
What temps do you all like, and what kind of time? These are babys but pretty beefy (porky). Thanks Eggers!!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Murth, you got it..run low and slow..If you want bark and chew off the bone..test at 4.5 to 5 hours..If you want fall off the bone..either GFW's version..or 4 hours on..and foil wrap with your favorite sauce and another hour or more at 225 - 250 till you can shake the bone and leave meat behind. I like em both ways..but prefer direct unsauced and then I can taste rubs and sauce alternately. You can do the foil if thats your liking without sauce and still have fall off the bone ribs.
    I just happen to like direct..no foil...bone sucking good ribs. (And BoneSuckin Sauce is a good one also)
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Murth,[p]I tend to prefer the direct cooking method, especially for babybacks. I only sauce the ribs if the sauce is better when cooked on just a bit.[p]Babybacks, standing vertical in a rib rack on the grill, will take 3-3.5 hours to cook using a dome temp of 240-250°F. Check about half way through the cook and flip/move them around to provide even cooking.[p]Spin

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Big Murth, Everybody has their personal way to cook ribs. I will never cook ribs direct again just because I had better results indirect. I will admit I only tried the ribs direct once and indirect method once. For my needs indirect was better so that is all I do now. That is just me. I can put ribs on the Egg and go to work and come back every hour or so. You will eventually go to your own style. I do wrap my ribs in foil for about an hour of the cook. There are great suggestions from everybody. I try to take the ones I like and apply a whole bunch of them together.[p]CWM

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Murth...I just re-read my post and I musta been high on BBQ sauce..heeeyaaa. I meant indirect in my preferences, but not foil wrapped for a full term cook. I like the options of dipping sauces later or to enjoy just the rubs I put on prior to the cook..Sorry if I confused and I e.mailed you with my own corrections..
    Char-Woody