Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp

Options
Revolution
Revolution Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having trouble keeping my temp up. I need to be at about 350, but it seems to keep at about 300. I have the bottom damper open wide and the daisy wheel off. Would it be better to close the daisy wheel and keep the eyes open full and leave the bottom dampen open. I thought I might be losing temp with the daisy wheel open?

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Revolution,[p]Sounds like you are having an air flow issue. Bend a maet coat hanger so it looks like this:[p]____________][p]Reach up through the sliding vent on the bottom and poke/wiggle throught the holes in the cast iron fire grate.[p]Also make sure you have lots of charcoal in the fire box.[p]If the fire box is full, poke at it with your "wiggle Rod"[p]PS just to let you know, with the bottom vent wide open,the daisey slider closed and the spinner (5 holes) part of the daisey open, my egg will run at 350 all day.[p]E
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    Revolution,
    With top and bottom open... You should have 600*![p]The only two things that would keep temp low when you want it higher, in my humble opinion is; You don't have enough lump, or the grate holes are plugged, thus not enough air. Is the ash box filled? Gotta be that the grate holes are plugged.[p]Good luck.[p]Phil, D' been there Duck

• Revolution
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Thanks. I have done the coat hanger wiggle. Now I am waiting to see if it rises. I have the bottom vent open and the daisy wheel closed with the spinner holes open.[p]I think the mistake I made was not cleaning out the small pieces of old lump at the bottom. I should have started with all fresh lump.[p]If this doesn't do the trick, the I am gonna pull the turkey, drip pan, inverted plate sitter, and do the wiggle trick on the lump.
    -Charlie

• Revolution
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I removed everything and to my suprise I was out of lump. I don't know why. I had a full box when I started and it was out after about 3 hours.[p]I have it going again now.[p]Thanks.[p]-Charlie