Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Options
Catwoman
Catwoman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE but am relatively new to using it. Has anyone ever tried to cook a turkey on direct? If yes, at what temperature? I have a Guru Competitor (haven't used it yet) so keeping a constant dome temperature should not be a problem. It will be a fresh turkey, about 10 - 12 pounds, and we will have brined it. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• onelegchef
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Go to the naked whiz site, his methode is almost fool proof and eggcelliant. Bobby

• Essex County
    Options
    Catwoman,
    If you cook your turkey at 325 direct, you'll have a black bottom and an underdone top. Could you roll it around every 20 minutes? I guess so but that sounds like a pain and messy. If you are set on cooking direct, I'd suggest that you spatchcock it. I'd probably want to dial down the temp even more, to maybe 275 and then bump it up toward the end to get a crisp skin. Your guru could help with this lower and slower direct cook.[p]If you're cooking direct because you don't have a platesetter, then you could make a heat deflector out of something, a pizza stone, a few firebricks.[p]Hope that helps.
    Paul