Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork butt shrinkage

CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I've seen data here about how much shrinkage you get when cooking a pork butt, but I'm wondering how much shrinkage folks get when pulling pork butts. I cooked one today on my day off, and I must have lost more than half of a pound of butt when sneaking bites while pulling.[p]Yum,
Cornfed

·

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Cornfed, the figures I have say you shoudl get 60% yield from a pound of uncooked buttt. SInce I only get about 50% I attribute 40% to cook shrinkage and 10% to cook carnage. "I just can't put that in with the good meat, so I'll eat it."

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Cornfed,
    I just did 2 butts totaling 17 lbs uncooked. I ended up with 7.7 lbs after pulling and weeding out the bones, fat, etc. -RP

·