Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Control question

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook some chicken thighs for supper and I'm waiting for the smoke to clear before I put them on.. I'm using all new lump (Cowboy) and the fire's been going close to an hour- but it's way too smoky to put anything on yet. It had started to thin out so I put the plate setter in and figured I'd be cooking soon, but the smoke came back with avengence! [p]Cowboy usually burns clean for me, but I'm usually cooking at higher temps than the 275 I'm trying to hold right now.[p]Any idears why so smoky?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Flashback Bob,
    LOL - it's probably from some of the debris in the dumpster or floor where most Cowboy wood scraps come from! Seriously if it's still burning dirty after 1 hour I'd say you have some offensive wood in there - why not open up and look at what piece/pieces are smoking and just remove them?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Flashback Bob,
    guessing that you have no wood chips/chunks in there, maybe it's a telephone pole or something. I always put the plate setter in when I start the lump rather than later, everything comes up to temp at the same time.