Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Gasket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whats the best way to remove the old gasket material? Also is there anything that is better than the oem gasket?[p]Thanks

Comments

• SuperDave
    Options
    PDSW60,[p]3M company makes a rust and paint removal disc you can buy at Wal Mart for around 9.00 which attaches to your drill.
    Felt gasket is the best going right now, although they are working on a more durable gasket, but experiencing problems with adhesion. Get yourself another felt replacement and use it until they perfect the new one.[p] Do a search on gasket removal.... it's a well covered topic here.
    Good Luck!

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Go to Home Depot, ACE Hdw, or equiv and buy a 17 ft roll of 3/16 X 5/8 inch felt for about $2.50, and glue a length of it on top of the existing gasket. I find it unnecessary to remove the old gasket. I'm currently at 4 layers. I have no upper gasket on my Brand-X cooker, but if I did I'd try using only the lower gasket to see how it functions. I brush off any loose stuff before applying the glue....no extensive clean-up. The glue that I use is ELMER'S PROBOND INTERIOR/EXTERIOR WEATHERPROOF FAST TACK WOOD GLUE. The label says 24 hr dry time, but I think you could cook as soon as the gasket is set, perhaps one hour or less. The dome has never been removed for any reason in the 7 yrs I've had my cooker. Keep it simple.