Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep ribs warm without overcooking

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to make some ribs to be eaten on a bus trip to a ballgame. After finishing the cook, I need to put them in foil or other container at least 30 minutes to an hour prior to their being served. How should I wrap them? Since I will be cooking at 200-250, would they continue to cook if I wrap in aluminum foil? Your help is appreciated.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    choo choo,
    Wrap them in foil, place in a cooler chest and cover with some towels. They make the trip just fine, taste great, still hot.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    choo choo,
    Wrap them in foil, get a couple of bath towels and wrap them in the towels. (The foil first or it gets a bit messy.) Put the whold thing in a cooler. They will be GRRR...ATE.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    choo choo, I would wrap em in foil..then with towels, and put em in a adequate cooler chest. They will keep for hour's, nice and hot. [p](Hey Mac and JJ, I just had to do this one..heeeyaaaa)[p]Choo Choo, they tell ya true..done it many times. Old Cranky Buns JJ put us up to this one way back when.
    C~W

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    choo choo,
    If you use a cooler, don't put ice in it. Preheating it with some hot water, then dumping it and drying it out, will help too.
    JimW

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Hey Char-Woody,
    Think I should change my handle to CB. hehe

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JimW, you might also resort to an old trick. Put a firebrick on the Egg, when You pull the ribs off, take the brick and wrap it in towels (that you have conveniently run through a dryer cycle) and put in the cooler (should we call it a "heater") under the ribs. You get a little more time of a warm temp this way.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Wise One,[p]Very interesting tip. Thanks,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I agree Cornfed,
    A great tip.
    Didja get my email?
    Hope you are cooking.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I followed instructions given here. Finished the ribs (3-1-1.5) at 3:30, wrapped in foil, then wrapped towels around foil-wrapped ribs, and placed in cooler. I ate the first rib around 5:35, and they were still hot. No leftovers, and I received numerous raves, even though I did not think it was my best effort. Some of them were blackened too much--I used rubs and also a finishing sauce--but they were still pretty darn good. [p]I have also experimented with mustard slather along with rub with success, but I did not find them better than the slab I did without the mustard. Thanks again to the forum for everyone's help.