Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xmas turkey

Options
ponyboy3060
ponyboy3060 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone cooked a 15-20 lb bird direct @ 350 w/ a vertical roaster and drip pan w/ good results?i plan on brining and doing this on xmas eve.advice and pics would be very appreciated.thanx

Comments

• Revolution
    Options
    ponyboy3060,[p]I did mine exactly as the set up you mention. I had a 13 1/2 lb, turkey and it took right at 4 hours if I remember correctly.

• ponyboy3060
    Options
    Revolution,
    did it come out good,w/ crisp skin?

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    ponyboy3060,[p]I did a 10 LB turkey breast at Thanksgiving. Brined it overnight then cooked at 250 for just over 4 hours. Put herbed butter under the skin then rubbed on skin and it came out smoked and juicy and the skin was crisp. The herbed butter kicked it up a notch - fresh herbs put in the middle of soft butter then rolled up and chilled. Slice and slide under skin. Used a drip pan and the plate setter as well as mesquite chips. It's done when internal temp reaches 160 - take out and tent for at least 30 minutes.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    ponyboy3060,
    See link below for cooking instructions for a vertical roaster... I followed these directions at thanksgiving with fantastic results. I used EVOO on the outside of the Bird with Bad Byron's Butt rub.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. I will be cooking A CHRISTmas Bird too! Upon my wifes request :>)