Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What, Me Worry?

Kamper
Kamper Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Winn-Dixie had Boston Butts labeled: "Cajun Blackened - Seasoned" in the case Friday. After 20 hours (almost to the minute) on the vee rack in the egg (last 4 hours in foil), the polder rang 200F and I removed the 5.5lb butt. I let it rest in the foil for another hour before I could get to it. For whatever reason, this was the best yet. I think the Colonel is right; The kiss principle applies here.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Kamper,[p]The Colonel is never wrong, just watch that Toad fella he hangs out with as we are not always sure about him :~)[p]Just kidding of course...2 of the best folks around.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Kamper,
    20 hrs with 4 in foil sounds awful long to get 200 internal with a 5.5 lb butt. I am just curious what temp you cooked it at? I figured a 5.5 lb at 225-250 would take 18hr. An hour in foil equals about 2 out of it, hence my interest.
    I am sure it came out wonderful and ultra tender.[p]Tim

• Kamper
    Tim M,[p]You're correct as I was planning for a shorter cook (I put 18 hours on the timer, but was focused on 200F internal) but there was an intervening period in the early morning--for probably 2-3 hours--when I checked the dome temp and it had fallen to abt 150F. (Wish I had someting that would graph temp v. time --or is that a little too "Type A"?) The lump had caved in on itself and had nearly extinguised the fire....I stirred up the lump and added a little air and the temp came back up to the 200 - 225 range. On a whim, I wrapped the butt in the foil at that point - internal was 157F - added 4 hrs to the timer and got the fire going again. I got a 200F alarm within a few minutes of 20 hrs and this was the BESTIST butt (with apologies to Nathan Bedford Forest), very tender. I used regular BGE lump stacked like you suggested last summer for the long burn in my medium. Now, how do you prevent cave-ins?[p]Thanks, Kamper
  • Tim M
    Kamper,
    Good, glad it all worked out. If you can keep the fire lit - its easy to do pulled pork. The failure of lump to cave in on itself has been a problem for everyone at sometime. Not sure why - just happens. One reason I do my butts at 225-250 is to keep a little bigger fire in there and it seems to help - those 200 deg fires only have a tiny fire going any way and it seems can go out easier. You did right with doing the foil wrap but you could also have just kept cooking to 195-200. The foil is good to rush it but at the sacrifice of the crusty Mr Brown exterior.[p]Tim

• Kamper
    Tim M,[p]Concerning the foil, I thought you had talked about (a good while back now) using the foil to "steam" the meat for the final part of the cook during the period the collagen is breaking down--for tenderness, AFTER starting out without it to get a nice crust. That's why I did it, especially in the abscence of any real plan since I was doing a bunch of other things that day.[p]By the way, I read an article in the LA Times suggesting high temps (450F) and slow cook times for greater tenderness, but required using a dutch oven. Ever try anything like that in the egg? Maybe start out on the rack for the smoke, then move to a cast pot?[p]Thanks again, Kamper

• Tim M
    Kamper,[p]You are correct about the use of foil to steam the meat into submission. While it does produce a much more tender product - its at the expense of the crispy crust. You could steam and remove and finish it on the grill direct - that makes some sense to me. Using the foil is normally reserved for speeding up a butt to get it done faster. Some do ribs in foil and it does make them steamed tender. [p]I have yet to try a pot roast from the Egg in my Crock Pot. I want to sear up a pot roast (or any cut) on the Egg for 1/2 its cooking time and toss it in the Crock Pot to finish along with spuds and carrots, etc. You could also use a dutch oven - I grew up with everything over cooked in a dutch oven
    ahhh the good ol days.[p]Tim